Friday, April 19, 2013

1991 Topps #206 Carlos Quintana

In this series, I look at my first team set: 1991 Topps.  This was the set I started my baseball card collection with.
This was my first Carlos Quintana card.  I have mentioned before on this blog that I have always been a big fan of Quintana and this was the beginning of that.  

Quintana had been a top prospect for the Red Sox for a couple of years coming in to the 1990 season.  He had been an outfielder in the minors but he soon became the starting first-baseman in 1990.  The team began the season with Billy Jo Robidoux and Bill Buckner in the fold, but Quintana quickly played his way in to the first base mix and eventually took over.

This was his first full season in the Major Leagues at the age of 24.  He played in 149 games with a batting line of .287/.354/.383 with seven home runs and 67 RBIs.  He was not the prototypical power-hitting first-baseman, but Quintana was a decent contact hitter and he got on base at a decent clip.  

In addition, Quintana was a decent defensive player, ranking in the top five in multiple defensive categories, including leading the league in assists.

No comments:

Post a Comment