Friday, August 12, 2016

Topps Now: July 20 and an A&G Blaster

I have been very busy lately.  I know I say that a lot.  I have jury trials coming up soon so my collecting has taken a back seat.  I have not been buying many packs and I have not been making many trades.  Most of my new cards coming in have been the Topps Now cards.  As bad as Boston has been lately, they still manage to get an inordinate amount of these things.  Just look at July 20, when Boston got two cards.
This first card features a number of players wearing throwback uniforms.  Xander Bogaerts is featured here in a 1970's uniform.  I would have liked a picture of the red caps though.   The late 1970's red Red Sox cap is a personal favorite of mine because my first cap was a 1975 replica.  This card features several other players as well, notably Albert Pujols and Bartolo Colon.
The other card features Hanley Ramirez, who hit three home runs in the Red Sox win over the Giants.  Hanley has a tendency to go on tears and this game was certainly evidence of that.

Today, I decided to buy a blaster of Allen & Ginter, which is never one of my favorite sets of any year.  I tend to not buy much of it mostly because I don't care for the non-baseball player cards.  But I will usually buy a blaster or a few packs, just because.  I did okay for my Red Sox collection:
The very first card out of the box was Mookie Betts.  I had one card in mind that I really wanted to get in this, which usually does not work out too well for me.  I did not get that card, but I did get the mini version.  The Ryan LaMarre is the card I wanted the most out of this set because it will likely be his only Red Sox card.  He played in six games, with five at-bats and also pitched an inning.  But then he was released.  So when I saw he was in this set, much less having a short print, I decided it was the card I wanted the most out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment