Tuesday, June 13, 2023

The Next Wong

As usual, the next several packages I have gotten in have been primarily Connor Wong cards.  And so here is the next update.

Topps Chrome Rookie Autograph Blue Ray Wave Refractor.  Oddly this card was not from the Sonic set, but rather from the basic Chrome set.  I think this is a really interesting card.  Is it necessary?  Definitely not.  Is it cool?  Yeah.

Topps Gypsy Queen Team Logo Swap.  One of the parallel variations from Gypsy Queen.  There is very little distinguishing this from the base set.  The team logo is a bit different.  

Panini Prizm Red Shimmer.  I have the Silver and Purple Shimmer parallels.  This is the Red.  This is serial-numbered to seven.  The other Shimmer parallels are similarly numbered, making them some of the rarer cards in my collection.

Topps Heritage Red and base.  One of my big losses in this collection is the 2022 Topps Heritage Red.  I bought it from a seller on Ebay, who then could not find the card and cancelled the sale.  It is a card that has not shown up on the site since.  The red border cards were only in Target Mega Boxes, so they are not easy to find.  I wanted to grab this year's card early.  The seller included the base card as an extra, and I still needed it.  So, that knocks off two cards.  Heritage is Wong's only appearance in a set so far this year, but with the way he has been playing, I expect that to change.

Stadium Club Chrome Wave Refractor.  I was outbid on an auction for this card a few weeks back when I was driving home from my parents' house.  I jumped on it when it showed up on Mercari.  What is interesting about the Stadium Club Chrome card is that Wong is listed as a catcher/third-baseman.  He played exactly one inning there in his Major League career.  It would have been more correct to list him as a second-baseman, but he has not played much there in the Majors either.

Topps Chrome Logofractor Future Stars Blue.  I always like blue parallels.  This one is numbered to 150.  I am not really familiar with the Logofractor set, other than this insert set and an autograph card, so I am not sure what distinguishes it from any of the other Chrome sets.

Panini Select Rookie Jersey Autographs Holo.  I had not grabbed any variations of this card until this one.  I have a couple more coming now.  There are a few other cards out there that I have not started grabbing variants of, but not a ton.

That's it for now.  More to come obviously.  Wong is definitely the fastest growing player in my collection, probably ever.  Just a couple months ago, I only had four cards of him.

1 comment:

  1. That last card is nice, I'm a sucker for a rookie card jersey auto since it's a triple threat. At least in concept, usually I end up disliking how hard they are to store since they end up being thick cards.
    Also on an unrelated note I lucked into a spare RC of Yoshida from 2023 Topps Series 2. I can send it your way if you need it.

    ReplyDelete