Thursday, May 21, 2020

Etopps and SPs

My recent batch of maildays have included a bunch of random Etopps cards (you know, the original online-only cards) and short prints and photo variations.  Not sure why that is, it just worked out that way:
1.  Keith Foulke.  Foulke only had one successful season with the Red Sox, but he was a huge reason for the team's World Championship run.  He pitched to a 2.17 ERA and saved 32 games.  Then, he was unstoppable in the postseason, giving up just one run in 14 innings and striking out 19 while notching three saves and a win.
2.  Xander Bogaerts.  This is a Heritage short-print.  I have not been doing a great job at grabbing these things all the time.  For some reason Bogaerts in particular often eludes me.

3.  Eduardo Rodriguez.  I had forgotten this card existed until deciding to look for some E-Rod cards I needed.  Nice cameo by former manager John Farrell here.
4.  David Ortiz.  This is a photo variation depicting Ortiz celebrating presumably the team winning the AL East title in 2013.  Just basing that on the t-shirt.  

5.  Pablo Sandoval.  Another Heritage short print.  I remember specifically wanting Boston to sign Sandoval.  Things did not work out well.
6.  David Wells.  More Etopps cards.  Wells started the only game I have seen at Fenway Park to date.  He took the win, though he was hit in the kneecap with a line drive and had to leave. 
7.  Josh Beckett.  Beckett was maddeningly inconsistent from year to year.  There were times he was an ace, but others where he was dreadful.  But he was a huge part of the 2007 World Champions.
8.  Carlton Fisk.  I really want to go through my collection and find all the cards commemorating Fisk's walkoff home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series.  Here is yet another one.  I suspect there will be a fair number. 

2 comments:

  1. This post made me realize that the only eTopps card I have is a Red Sock, Junichi Tazawa. At the time it was the only Taz card on the market (outside of some unlicensed con-exclusive or something).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that too. I have been kind of a big fan of Tazawa all along so I snatched that up right away.

    ReplyDelete