Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Hope Diamond

The Hope Diamond parallels from 2011 remain one of my favorite of the colored Topps parallels from the time period.  Featuring a bright shade of blue, they are incredible to look at.  And collectors loved them, because they were often hard to find.  I only had Josh Beckett previously in my collection (I have never seen the Jason Varitek pop up).  Now, I added one more:
Alfredo Aceves.  Aceves had an interesting stint in Boston.  In 2011 he was terrific, going 10-2 with a 2.61 ERA, primarily as a middle reliever, striking out 80 in 114 innings.  His record flipped in 2012, but he was the closer after Mark Melancon struggled and Andrew Bailey was hurt.  He saved 25 games, but had a 5.36 ERA.  He only pitched in eleven games in 2013 before Boston lost patience with him.  He was 4-1 with a 4.86 ERA, splitting time as a starter and reliever.  I will always remember his 2011 though.

2 comments:

  1. The tinting on these made them my favorite. I wish they weren't so rare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Hope Diamond parallels. Nice card!

    ReplyDelete