Saturday, February 11, 2023

Topps Lauren Taylor Team Set

Yeah, it's two cards.  It's still the team set.  Anyway, I mentioned during the Project 70 series that my favorite artist was easily Lauren Taylor.  I loved her stuff and grabbed both of the Red Sox cards she contributed, Xander Bogaerts and a Rafael Devers/Nolan Arenado All Star special card.  So, when it was announced that she would be doing a full set, I knew I was going to get whatever Red Sox cards would be available.

1.  Jarren Duran.  It was probably a contractual obligation to include Jarren Duran.  I am negative on Duran a lot, and I really don't mean to be.  I would love to see him play in the Majors as well as he has in the minors.  In two levels in 2019, he hit .303/.367/.408 with 46 stolen bases.  His power increased in 2021 to the point that he hit 16 home runs.  He is going to be 26 years old this year.  He could still come through.

2.  David Ortiz.  I am sort of disappointed that we did not have more cards commemorating Ortiz being inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2022.  It was Ortiz's first year on the ballot and he made it onto 77.9% of ballots cast.  I remember the early voting did not look too promising, but it built up significantly over time.  

And just a note about the artwork.  It is incredible as usual.  I would love to see Taylor contribute to more cards in the future.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey, those two BoSox cards are twice as many as the one Tigers Card, of Ty Cobb.

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite of those Project 70/2020 artists is Efdot, although he's not as consistent as Lauren Taylor.

    ReplyDelete