Friday, February 24, 2023

Ebay Lot of Inserts, Parallels, Etc.

I bought a lot on Ebay to fill in a few holes from 2021 and 2022, which have been years somewhat underrepresented so far due to not being involved in trading.  I am going to get that fixed soon, but I might have another trial next month, which could change things.

1.  Pedro Martinez.  The 1987 design is a little overdone I think, but it is one of the more iconic designs during my lifetime.  Always fun to get Pedro Martinez cards though.  The trade for Martinez is still one of the best trades during my fandom.  Boston gave up Carl Pavano and Tony Armas, Jr.  Both pitchers pitched for awhile, but nowhere near as well as Pedro.

2.  Nathan Eovaldi.  The trade for Eovaldi cost Boston Jalen Beeks, who has been a solid reliever when healthy.  Worth it.

3.  Rafael Devers.  Part of the reason I bought this lot was the addition of a couple more Devers cards.  

4.  Bobby Dalbec.  Dalbec had a pretty decent year in 2021, hitting .240/.298/.494 with 25 home runs and 78 RBIs.  But his 156 strikeouts were glaring and he took such a huge step backwards in 2022 that it appears likely he will officially lose his hold on first base.

5.  Carlton Fisk.  I love this insert set.  I need to track down all of them.  Just a good-looking set.

6.  Nathan Eovaldi.

7.  Alex Verdugo.  I am looking forward to seeing Verdugo this year.  With the shift being banned and his improvement in the second half of last season, I think he is going to have a really good year.

8.  Jarren Duran.  This lot contained several Duran cards.  This Inception card has an interesting design, but is a little thick for my tastes.  Base cards should be able to fit easily in a page.

9.  Jarren Duran.

10.  Jarren Duran.  Yep, several Duran cards.

11.  Kutter Crawford.  Crawford was one of the most impressive of the rookie pitchers Boston used in 2022 (next to Brayan Bello).  He is also likely to be a part of the pitching staff in 2023 as he could emerge as a multi-inning reliever in the vein of what Tanner Houck and Garrett Whitlock have done.

12.  Trevor Story.  I really thought Story could have a 20/20 type season last year.  And he probably would have had he stayed healthy.  He hit 16 home runs and almost assuredly would have hit four more.  He stole 13 bases and has stolen 20 or more three times.  It likely won't happen this season either.

13.  Rafael Devers.  That's two Devers cards.  

14.  Jarren Duran.  And four Duran cards.  

15.  Christian Vazquez.  This is probably my favorite card of the lot, celebrating Vazquez's walkoff home run in Game 3 of the ALDS against the Rays.  What a great moment that was.  I really wish Vazquez was still with the team, especially since I am not sold on the current catching platoon going forward.  I hope I am wrong.

16.  Connor Seabold.  Seabold was the least impressive of the rookie pitchers Boston used in 2022.  I am not sure what happened to him, he looked like a decent prospect when Boston acquired him in 2020.  Luckily that trade also included Nick Pivetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment