Saturday, January 14, 2023

Spotlight 70 Red Sox

Back in July I posted about a Joe Rudi card from Topps Spotlight 70 that was a watercolor rendering of his 1982 Topps card.  After getting that card, I decided to grab a few more:

1.  Rich Gedman.  I have to say, the player selection in this set is wild.  Gedman is certainly an interesting player to appear in a set in the 2020's.  He was a two-time All Star with the Red Sox, but his career declined early.

2.  Luis Tiant.  Tiant's 1975 Topps card is definitely a good one.  I have mentioned over and over again that Tiant needs to be in the Hall of Fame.  

3.  Fergie Jenkins.  This is from his 1976 Topps Traded card.  Jenkins is not exactly well-remembered for his time with the Red Sox.  He had two very average seasons with Boston in 1976 and 1977.  His record in the two years combined was 22-21.

4.  Tom Seaver.  Here is Seaver's 1986 Topps Traded card.  I still remember buying the original at a card show.  I had not been a fan of baseball for a real long time, but I was vaguely familiar with who Tom Seaver was and was shocked that he had been with my favorite team.

5.  Juan Marichal.  And completing the trifecta of Hall of Fame pitchers known for being with other teams yet having Traded cards (that's a mouthful) is this 1974 Topps Traded Juan Marichal.  Marichal had the shortest stint of the three, appearing in just eleven games.

There are still a few of these out there for the Red Sox that I need to get, but they are a little more conventional selections: Jim Rice, Mo Vaughn, Dustin Pedroia and Tim Wakefield.  

1 comment:

  1. I don't see myself getting any of these, but yeah it's good to see some different players featured.

    ReplyDelete