Friday, December 9, 2022

Finished a Vintage Team Set

Several years ago I targeted the 1959 Topps team set as one I could possibly complete.  It did not feature any real high-priced cards.  There were some stars, but no huge ones (Ted Williams was notably absent) and no big rookie cards (Yastrzemski came the next year).

This Gary Geiger card completed the set.  As could be guessed from the photo, Geiger was new to Boston in 1959.  Hence, no cap.  He was traded by Cleveland prior to the season along with Vic Wertz for fan favorite Jimmy Piersall.  Geiger had trouble staying on the field.  He put up decent numbers during his time in Boston, but was injured a lot.  He also had a little bit of pop in his bat, hitting more than 15 home runs three times.  He also stole more than 15 bases twice.  Geiger had a lot of talent, but injuries made it difficult to harness that talent.  

So this means 1959 Topps is my oldest complete team set, surpassing the 1978 Topps team set.  I really have some work to do with vintage.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! My oldest completed Red Sox team set is from 1981, although I'm just a Yaz short of finishing the 1978.

    ReplyDelete