Thursday, September 20, 2018

Working Overtime

I have been working late a lot lately.  I am working on multiple briefs to the state Supreme Court for various cases, including one in which my client was sentenced to 120 years in prison.  And so, receiving an order from Overtime Cards is particularly relevant to my current work status.

This order started with one card, which I will get to and which recent readers of this blog will figure out as soon as it is shown.  The rest all appear on my wantlist, including a number of vintage cards from the 1960's.
1.  2017 Topps Allen & Ginter Drew Pomeranz.  This is one of three short-printed cards from last year's Allen & Ginter set, a set that I have made very little progress on so far.  Well, this package helps out to some extent with that.  Pomeranz is not expected to appear on Boston's postseason roster.

2.  1961 Topps Dave Hillman.  Hillman spent two seasons with the Red Sox from 1960-1961 after being acquired in a deal with the Cubs for Dick Gernert.  He was a pretty decent reliever in 1961 going 3-2 with a 2.77 ERA in 28 games over 78 innings.

3.  1966 Topps Bob Duliba.  Duliba was another reliever, one who spent a single season with the Red Sox after being acquired in a deal with the Angels.  He was 4-2 with a 3.78 ERA in 39 games.  He picked up one save.

4.  2008 Donruss Sports Legends Carl Yastrzemski.  I am not sure what this set was, but it appeared on my wantlist with several Hall of Fame Red Sox, and so here we go.

5.  1987 Fleer Marty Barrett.  I was a little surprised this set was not complete, maybe because I had the Glossy set already.  I needed two cards to complete the team set.  Here is one.

6.  1987 Fleer Wade Boggs.  And here is the other one.

7.  1987 Topps Collectors' Series Baseball Highlights Jim Rice.  This is kind of a neat set.  I needed a bunch of these and grabbed most of them.

8.  1987 Topps Collectors' Series Baseball Highlights Jim Rice.  Here is another one of Rice.

9.  1987 Topps Collectors' Series Baseball Highlights Dwight Evans.  One of Dewey.
10.  1987 Topps Collectors' Series Baseball Highlights Calvin Schiraldi.  This is the card I wanted the most.  I love it when under-the-radar players like Schiraldi show up in these oddball sets.  Schiraldi had a great year in 1986, up until the postseason when he struggled in a couple of big spots.  He was never again as successful.

11.  1987 Topps Collectors' Series Baseball Highlights Bruce Hurst.  There is another Hurst card from this set, the last card I need to complete it.

12.  2013 Bowman Chrome Prospects Refractor Tzu-Wei Lin.  Yep, here is the card that started this purchase.  You can't tell from the scan, but this is the Refractor version.  This is Lin #45.

13.  1961 Topps Billy Muffett.  A third little-known pitcher from a 1960's-era set.  Muffett was with the Red Sox from 1960-1962.  He was 9-15 during that time with a 4.47 ERA.

14.  1968 Topps Gary Bell.  Bell was a terrific in-season acquisition by the Red Sox during the Impossible Dream 1967 season.  After being acquired in June, he went 12-8 with a 3.16 ERA and was an All Star in 1968 for Boston.  He was then a member of the Seattle Pilots team.

15.  1990 Score Superstars Wade Boggs.  I always liked these Score inserts/boxed set cards.  I picked up a few of them here.

16.  1990 Score Superstars Mike Greenwell.  Here is another one.

17.  1990 Score Superstars Ellis Burks.  And another one.

18.  2009 SP Legendary Cuts Kevin Youkilis.  I miss Kevin Youkilis.  I wish he would have been able to play his entire career with Boston.
19.  2016 Topps Heritage Steven Wright.  Not sure how this card escaped me.  I was in the midst of a mini-player collection of Wright at the time this was released and had numerous parallels of this card, including the Color Swap variation, mini, and multiple Chrome parallels.

20.  2010 Topps 206 Jacoby Ellsbury.  This SP completed this team set.

21.  2008 Donruss Sports Legends Carlton Fisk.  Ted Williams is the last remaining card from this set.

22.  2017 Topps Allen & Ginter Steven Wright.  I probably will not re-start the Wright player collection, but I am definitely going to pick up a bunch of cards of him.  He is the only current knuckleball pitcher in the Majors now that R.A. Dickey is retired.

23.  2017 Topps Allen & Ginter Hanley Ramirez.  All three A&G SPs were picked up in this package, including this card.

No comments:

Post a Comment