Thursday, September 27, 2018

Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire

Maybe I should start titling all of my posts with relevant song lyrics. 

I made a trade to acquire some 2018 Topps Fire base cards.  The set does not look as big as it was last year, so I did not think I would have quite as much time opening a box.  I got a couple of the insert singles I was focused on in this trade at least:
1.  2018 Topps Fire Andrew Benintendi.  The only base card in the set.  Benny has been slumping of late, along with several other players.  He still had a fine season.

2.  2018 Topps Fire Flame Xander Bogaerts.  It is very rare that Bogaerts is one of the first players I receive in a set.  I don't know why.  It's annoying.

3.  2018 Topps Fire Hot Start Rick Porcello.  This is probably the card I was most interested in.  Porcello does not appear on many insert cards.  The fact that he won the Cy Young Award in 2016 will most likely be more of a trivia question than common knowledge in a few years.  Just like Willie Hernandez (1984), Steve Bedrosian (1987), Mark Davis (1989), Pat Hentgen (1996), R.A. Dickey (2012), and other forgotten winners of the award.

4.  2018 Topps Fire Cannons Andrew Benintendi.  Benny has a good arm, but not compared to Jackie Bradley Jr. and Mookie Betts.  I am surprised by his inclusion in this insert set. 

Not a bad start to the set.  I have a ways to go though.

No comments:

Post a Comment