Thursday, January 4, 2024

The Jason Varitek Quest for 1,000: #s 996 and 997 (Plus More)

I had to edit the last Varitek post.  That was actually card #995, not 996.  I lost count because I had already gotten #996 in by that point.

So, starting off is a TCDB trade that I worked out.  It started off as just the Varitek, but I expanded it.

1.  Jason Varitek.  Varitek card #996 is the Allen & Ginter Mini parallel.  Varitek has appeared in A&G a lot over the years, which I can definitely get behind.

2.  Luis Tiant/Nathan Eovaldi.  I had to have this insert.  I am a huge Tiant fan, even though I never saw him pitch live.  And to have him on a card with Nathan Eovaldi is great.  This card celebrates the fact that both pitchers led the league in shutouts in their respective seasons.  Tiant threw seven shutouts in 1974.  Eovaldi threw just one, but tied for the league lead, because starters almost never finish their games anymore.

3.  Kenley Jansen.  Just a base card, but I really liked Jansen this year.  I liked him even more since he achieved his landmark 400th save and was Boston's only All Star.

Up next is a random Connor Wong card:

Panini Chronicles Spectra Rookie Jersey Autographs Neon Pink.  Serial-numbered to 49.  I love the patch here.  I had to put this card in this post because I got it in between Varitek packages.

And finally, card #997, also from a TCDB trade.

Varitek card #997 is the base A&G card and is one of the short-printed cards.  Three to go.

And that's it for now.  More to come obviously.  

No comments:

Post a Comment