Sunday, November 20, 2022

Project 70: Rafael Devers by Jacob Rochester

As far as player selection goes, I cannot say I was super impressed with the Project 70 set.  There were a reasonable number of Red Sox cards out there, but outside of Bill Buckner, all the players were big superstars or Hall of Famers.  There were 27 Red Sox cards total.  Like I said, that's a reasonable number, but compared to some teams, not all that impressive.  For instance, the Angels had 95 cards, all but a couple of them being Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani.  The Dodgers had 92.  The Yankees had 196.  That's absurd.  I know Topps wanted to give the artists creative license here, but that's a bit much.

This is a card I decided to grab because Rafael Devers is one of my current favorite players and he was enjoying a terrific season in 2021.  The design looks more like a standard card.  There really is not much flash here.  It looks like something that would have come out in the 1970's.  That is probably the idea.  It's not super-exciting, just a solid design for a great player.

No comments:

Post a Comment