Monday, December 13, 2021

Project 70

I never got around to buying any of the Project 2020 cards from last year, even though Ted Williams was one of the subjects of the set.  I was not sure I would be buying any of the Project 70 cards either.  Prices were kind of high.  I also was not exactly blown away by the cards for quite awhile.  The first Red Sox card was #20, but the next one did not come until #148.  The set seemed very focused on Yankees, Dodgers and a couple of big-name stars.  There have to date, been only 24 Red Sox cards as compared to the over 150 Yankees cards.  That's just ridiculous.  

I decided I was going to look for lesser-known Red Sox stars players and interesting designs if I was going to get any.  And thus, the first card I got was #148: Bill Buckner


This card was designed by Ron English.  English had a couple of unfortunate designs early on with his Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra cards.  Buckner was his third and is actually a good-looking card.  I like the kind of water-color design here.  Plus, Buckner is a more inspired choice for a subject.  This is the only Buckner card in the entire set.  I always liked Buckner personally, but I was not watching baseball in 1986.  English was one of the artists who actually did a few Red Sox cards.  He also did cards of Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski and even Mookie Betts.  He also apparently really liked the 1970 Topps design.  All of his cards used that template.

No comments:

Post a Comment