Thursday, September 24, 2020

Panini Insert and Parallel Trade

Panini's Absolute set had a lot of intriguing inserts that caught my eye.  As the boxes dried up very quickly, just like everything else, I managed to work out a trade for a few of the cards I needed, with a couple of others. 


1.  Andrew Benintendi.  This is from the Unsung Heroes insert set, and I am not really sure Benintendi qualifies.  He was the seventh overall pick in the 2015 draft.  He finished second in the Rookie of the Year vote in 2017.  And he has not been the same hitter since the first half of 2018.  If anything, he has failed to live up to expectations at this point.  I hope I am wrong.  I hope he makes a comeback next season, but time is running out.

2.  Alex Verdugo.  Verdugo has been Boston's MVP this season.  I doubt I am saying anything controversial.  He leads the team in WAR (2.3) and has hit .328/.383/.511 and leads the team in runs (33), hits (59), doubles (15), average and on-base percentage.  I predict he will be the 2021 Donruss Diamond King.

3.  Christian Vazquez.  This is a Donruss parallel.  Vazquez hit leadoff yesterday, marking the first time since 2004 that a Red Sox catcher has batted leadoff.  That catcher was Jason Varitek.

4.  Pedro Martinez.  This is the In the Zone insert card.  I think Martinez in his prime was the greatest pitcher I have ever seen.  

5.  Chris Sale/Eduardo Rodriguez.  Here we have the two Red Sox aces, neither of whom have pitched a single game for Boston in 2020.  Hopefully they will both recover for the 2021 season.

2 comments: