Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Wheelings and Dealings

The Hot Stove Season is getting under way and there is some big news.

First the pro-Boston news:
Boston acquires Burke Badenhop from Brewers.  Badenhop is a right-handed reliever that the Brewers under-used for some strange reason last season.  He had some decent numbers but almost all of them came in low-leverage situations.  I am not sure how to feel about this one, but all they gave up was a minor leaguer named Luis Ortega who is quite a ways away.

Boston signs A.J. Pierzynski.  Well they needed a catcher I suppose.  Pierzynski has frequently been labelled a clubhouse cancer though, so I am not sure of this one.  He has some pop and is durable, but will he hurt the chemistry?  I guess we will find out.

Now the bad stuff:
Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs with Marlins.  Probably the prelude to a trade to the Mets next year.  I liked Salty but he was not getting three years in Boston.  Particularly with Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart coming on strong.

Jacoby Ellsbury signs with Yankees.  Seriously?  I came to grips with the likelihood of Ellsbury leaving.  Jackie Bradley Jr. will be the new center fielder, but the Yankees?  Really?  Also, this looks like a pretty likely contract the Yankees will be regretting in a few years.  Seven years with an option for an eighth.  Wow.  And $150 million.  Seems like a recipe for disaster.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, are you still using the PO Box you were using during our last trade? Because I've got some more random BoSox for you.

    PS I'm not happy about the Ellsbury signing either. All the Yankees have managed to do is secure a 3rd place finish in the division and at least 5 years if mediocrity. Oh joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am still using that P.O. Box. I can honestly say I am shocked about the Ellsbury signing. We'll see what happens. I am looking forward to the Jackie Bradley era though.

    ReplyDelete