Sunday, June 26, 2022

2021 Topps 206 Lot and the Jason Varitek Quest for 1,000: #971

Unfortunately, Topps decided not to bring back Topps Total in 2021.  I always thought the online-only format of the set was kind of a bad idea.  Who wants to buy a $10.00 pack online and get a bunch of middle-relievers and utility players?  I loved the set, don't get me wrong, but I always just bought the singles I wanted.  

With the loss of Topps Total, Topps did an online-only format for Topps 206.  I still just pick up the singles I want.  One wave had several I jumped on:

Jason Varitek:  Of course I had to add this one.  29 cards to go to make my goal.  Unfortunately, it is becoming harder to find them.

Frank Arellanes:  Arellanes is noteworthy because he was in the original T206 set.  It is kind of odd to see such an obscure player in a modern set.  Odd, and awesome.  Arellanes pitched just three seasons in the Majors, all with the Red Sox, from 1908-1910.  He had a great year as a starter and reliever in 1909, pitching in 45 games, starting 28 and finishing a league-leading 15.  He notched eight saves, though it was not an official stat at the time.  He had a 2.18 ERA and a 16-12 record.

Christian Arroyo:  Arroyo has started to get more cards in 2022, but in 2021 he was still pretty rare in sets.  Arroyo had some great moments, including a late pinch-hit grand slam against the Braves.  I thought he would be the primary second-baseman this year, but he is a bit too injury-prone and Boston signed Trevor Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment