Sunday, December 9, 2018

101 Red Sox (Scan Heavy)

I love it when I can work out a huge trade like this one.  I moved a pretty big card in my collection, but in return, I received 101 new Red Sox cards, all of which were on my wantlist.  Many of the cards were from the last couple of years, which is where I need quite a bit of help.  But there is some older stuff, and even some vintage.




Rather than talk about every single card, I will pick one from each scan:
2018 Donruss Promising Pros Brian Johnson.  Johnson was a first-round pick by the Red Sox in the 2012 draft.  He made it to the Majors for the first time in 2015.  In 2018, he stayed in the Majors all season and ended up with a 4-5 record and a 4.17 ERA.  I do not believe he is going to be in Boston much longer.  I expect him to be released some time early next season.  This is my first relic card of him and the only relic in this trade.
2007 Topps Update and Highlights Jacoby Ellsbury.  This is quite possibly the most exciting card in the trade.  These cards were very hard to find.  The story is that 2007 was the first year in which September call-ups were not eligible to be in late-season sets.  Topps skirted that issue with the Ellsbury card, but short-printed it severely.
1961 Topps Gene Conley.  Conley was a fascinating player.  He was also an NBA player during his Major League career.  While with the Red Sox, Conley also played for the Celtics.  Conley also achieved notoriety for getting off the team bus in a traffic jam in New York and deciding to hop a plane to Jerusalem.  He did not make it that far and returned to the team. 
1969 Topps Billy Conigliaro/Syd O'Brien/Fred Wenz.  Of the three players here, Conigliaro had the most success.  The younger, less famous, brother of Tony Conigliaro, Billy also had some pop, hitting 18 home runs in 1970, the same year that Tony hit 36.  54 home runs is the record for brothers on the same team.  O'Brien had one decent year as a Red Sox utility player and Wenz pitched in just nine games total for the Red Sox over two seasons.
2017 Topps Allen & Ginter What a Day Babe Ruth.  I do wish Topps would use some other photos of Ruth with the Red Sox.  This one gets used almost all the time.  That being said, I love getting cards of Babe Ruth with the Red Sox.
1968 Topps Jim Lonborg.  This card was high on my priority list as it is the card that came out after Lonborg had his one excellent season that resulted in winning the Cy Young Award.  Lonborg was injured in the offseason while skiing.  He had a few more decent seasons, but never came close to his 1967 numbers. 
2017 Stadium Club Rick Porcello.  This is one of my favorite photos of Red Sox from the 2017 Stadium Club set.  It is just plain goofy.  Porcello is sitting in the front, flanked by Chris Sale and David Price.  Meanwhile, the shot was photo-bombed by Hanley Ramirez.  I really think it should have been a Ramirez card.
2018 Stadium Club Xander Bogaerts.  Here is a nice double-dip photo.  It is one of the better action photos in the 2018 Stadium Club set for the Red Sox.
2018 Topps Gypsy Queen Fortune Teller Rafael Devers.  I love the design and the feel of this card.  It really does feel like an old tarot card.
2011 Bowman Sterling Jose Iglesias.  I was very excited about Iglesias when he became a regular player in 2013.  In hindsight, it was not surprising that he would be traded as Boston's top prospect at the time was Xander Bogaerts.  Still, he was fun to watch on defense and had a decent year with the bat.
2015 Bowman Chrome Rick Porcello.  I love the 1970's throwback uniforms.  Porcello has the best photos in this entire trade.
2014 Bowman Chrome Prospects Teddy Stankiewicz.  Stankiewicz's father Andy was an infielder with the Yankees for a couple of seasons.  Stankiewicz is still just 24 and in Double A.  It is possible that he can still make it. 

So that was the gigantic deal.  I am working hard on some big cases at work right now, so it is possible that I will only post maildays for a little while.  I know those are not super exciting for people, but I promise it will only be for a few weeks or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment