Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Favorite Retro Set: 2003 Topps 205

There have not been a lot of sets that I have picked up more than one hobby box for, but 2003 Topps 205 was one.  Maybe that is not fair because I picked up one for each series of this one.  I have always preferred this set to the Topps 206 sets that they have done a couple of times.  I do not really know why.  There is more of a design to this one.  It is not just a simple picture of the player, there is more to it.
Of course the major reason to love the set is the minis.  This is one set that I worked hard on adding a bunch of minis.  I always like minis anyway, but this is one that I really focused my energy on finding the minis.
Just like the 206 sets, 205 had a variety of backs.  The above picture is the Cycle Purple back.  There were several others as well.  One thing I spent a lot of time on was tracking down as many of the variations of the Hanley Ramirez rookie card as I could find.  I ended up with all but the two Bazooka backs.
Of course there was an impressive relic set as well.  The Red Sox had several notable players in this set, including Nomar Garciaparra, Manny Ramirez, Jeremy Giambi, and a Derek Lowe hat card that I am still trying to find.
Series 2 was released late enough that they were able to include Curt Schilling as a Red Sox despite the fact that he was acquired in a trade in November, 2003.
2003 Topps 205 has always been a favorite set of mine.  It is definitely my favorite retro set.  I wish Topps would give it another shot.  But then there are a lot of sets I want Topps to bring back.

No comments:

Post a Comment