Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend Additions

 Lots of new stuff over the weekend.  I bought some packs and I got a few forum trade packages in the mail.

Up first is a pack break of another of those three pack bundles of 2013 Bowman.  I am still waiting on an elusive purple prospect Red Sox card but I did get the following:
1.  2013 Bowman Gold David Ortiz.  The facial expression on Ortiz in this one is a little weird.  I suspect he is trying to run as fast as he possibly can.  He did steal third base twice last week, so  there you go.

Next up is the first of several forum trades.  I gave up a whole bunch of 2013 Bowman singles for these:
2.  2012 Triple Threads Bronze (?) David Ortiz.  I did not do much with Triple Threads last year, or any other year for that matter, preferring just to pick up singles.

3.  2011 Topps Museum Blue Cy Young.  Museum has been another set I do not do much with.  The high-end stuff usually is.  Although I had to have this one because of the awesome old uniform and the fact that is THE Cy Young.

4.  2008 Topps Co-Signers Silver/Red Josh Beckett/Curt Schilling.  I like these Co-Signers cards with the two players.  I need to go back and pick up at least one for each combo.  I already have this one, Kevin Youkilis/Jason Varitek, and Mike Lowell/J.D. Drew.  There are a bunch more I need.

I typically only trade on the forums, but occasionally something will catch my eye for sale.  Something like this:
5.  2004 Topps Total Printing Plate Magenta Mike Timlin.  I spent only $6.00 on this.  Printing plates are becoming cheaper.  Timlin was of course on both the 2004 and 2007 World Championship Red Sox teams.

Next up is one of my favorite trades I have made in a long time and it will take up multiple scans.  It did however pretty much completely deplete my Yankees trade bait.  That is not a big problem though when I get the following in return:
6.  2010 Topps Opening Day Toppstown David Ortiz.

7.  1970 Topps Billy Conigliaro/Luis Alvarado.  Billy is the younger brother of the great Tony Conigliaro who had his potential Hall of Fame career cut short when he was hit in the eye with a pitch.  Billy hit 18 home runs himself in 1970, his brother hit 36 that same year with the Red Sox.  Alvarado jumped around for several seasons.

8.  1976 Topps Bill Lee.  I love this shot of Lee.  He was definitely a free spirit.

9.  1978 Topps Tommy Helms.  This is a fairly worn-out card, but that's not a problem.

10.  1981 Donruss Jerry Remy.  Donruss's early designs were kind of boring.  Remy had a great first season with the Red Sox in 1978 when he stole 30 bases and was an All Star but never came close to that afterwards.  He is well-known as an announcer for Boston now.

11.  1982 Donruss Bob Stanley. 

12.  1982 Donruss Ralph Houk.  I had no idea Donruss ever did manager cards.  I wish they did it more often.

13.  1982 Donruss Bill Campbell.  Like Remy, Campbell was great his first year in Boston, and never did much afterwards.

14.  1982 Fleer Stamps Carney Lansford.  Lansford won a batting title for Boston in 1981 then was supplanted by Wade Boggs at third base by the end of the next season. 

15.  1983 Donruss Glenn Hoffman.  Glenn is actually the older brother of Padres great Trevor Hoffman.  Much older.

16.  1983 Donruss Mike Torrez.

17.  1985 Donruss Mike Easler.  He hit 27 home runs in 1984 and lasted for two seasons for the Red Sox, yet I have fewer than ten cards of Easler in my Red Sox collection.

18.  1989 Score Superstars Dwight Evans.  I think Evans belongs in Cooperstown.

19.  1998 Skybox EX2001 Mo Vaughn.  Cool-looking card here.

20.  2002 Topps Chrome Tim Wakefield.  I wish he could have held on long enough to supplant Cy Young and Roger Clemens for career victories with the Red Sox.  He came close (186 to 192).

21.  2005 Fleer Authentix Manny Ramirez.

22.  2005 Upper Deck Pros and Prospects Curt Schilling.

23.  2006 Ultra RBI Kings David Ortiz.

24.  2007 Fleer Year in Review David Ortiz.  This commemorates Ortiz's 51st home run of the 2006 season which was a new team record.  He finished with 54.  The previous mark was held by Jimmie Foxx in 1938.

25.  2007 Topps Update and Highlights Gold David Ortiz.

26.  2007 Upper Deck Craig Hansen.  What a bust.  Hansen was a first round draft pick, then was rushed to the Majors and never came close to meeting his potential.

27.  2007 Upper Deck Triple Play Performers David Ortiz.

28.  2007 Upper Deck First Edition Curt Schilling.

29.  2007 Upper Deck First Edition Jonathan Papelbon.

30.  2009 Upper Deck Goudey Green Back Mini Jason Bay.  I am trying to get a bunch of cards of Bay and Victor Martinez from their Red Sox stints.  Two of the better midseason trades Boston ever made and both stayed for another year in which they were All Stars.  Their time coincides with a time that I did not do a lot of collecting.

31.  2010 Bowman Chrome Kevin Youkilis.

32.  2012 Topps Golden Moments Jon Lester.

33.  2007 Bowman Chrome Refractor Manny Ramirez.

34.  2007 Bowman Chrome Refractor Curt Schilling.

35.  2009 Topps 206 Josh Reddick RC.  I never had a lot of Reddick cards.  Kind of a shame.  This completed the non-SP team set for this set for me.

36.  2009 Topps 206 Babe Ruth.  I love getting Ruth cards in my Red Sox collection.

37.  2010 Topps Tales of the Game David Ortiz.  I am torn on whether to include this in my Red Sox collection.  It has more to do with the Yankees and we are just looking at a replica jersey here.

38.  2010 Topps Tools of the Trade Lars Anderson.  Another big bust.  Anderson was supposed to be the first baseman of the future.

39.  2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Adrian Beltre.  I wish Boston would have kept him.

40.  1986 Donruss Highlights Roger Clemens.  Commemorating the 20 K game against the Mariners.

41.  1987 Fleer Roger Clemens.  I was shocked I did not have this.

42.  1987 Fleer League Leaders Roger Clemens.

43.  1989 Kmart Dream Team Roger Clemens.  I miss these oddball store-exclusive sets as much as I miss food issues.  Bring them back.

44.  1989 Score Superstars Roger Clemens.

45.  1995 SP Silver Jose Canseco.  If you missed it, Canseco was recently arrested on sexual assault charges.  Oh boy.

46.  1996 Pinnacle Jose Canseco.

47.  1997 New Pinnacle Mo Vaughn.  A terrific action shot.  Vaughn was not really known for his defense.

48.  1998 Donruss Mo Vaughn.  Shocked I did not have this one too.

49.  2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-in-1 Daisuke Matsuzaka/Josh Beckett/Jonathan Papelbon/Justin Masterson.  These were the best things about the Goudey set.  I also have a reprint of the original set 4-in-1 Red Sox card that has Joe Cronin, Carl Reynolds, Max Bishop, and Bill Cissell.

50.  2009 Upper Deck Goudey 4-in-1 Dustin Pedroia/David Ortiz/Josh Beckett/Carlton Fisk.  Postseason heroes maybe?  This gives me three 4-in-1 cards from this set that are all Red Sox.

51.  2011 Topps Triple Threads Relics Jon Lester.  One thing I am missing is nice relics cards of Red Sox pitchers since Pedro Martinez.  I just do not have that many, so this Lester was very much appreciated.

52.  2008 Sweet Spot Sweet Swatch Dual Memorabilia Josh Beckett/Daisuke Matsuzaka.  As was this nice dual card of Beckett and Dice-K.

Finally, here is the trade bait from the Bowman break.  As usual, if you see anything you want, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment