Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Stadium Club and Select Blaster Breaks

I do not recall if I bought both of these at the same time, but I am combining them into one post anyway.  In earlier posts I mentioned having bad luck with Stadium Club and uncommonly good luck with Panini products with Red Sox cards.  That's why I will never stop buying Panini.

1.  Marcelo Mayer.  This is it from the Stadium Club blaster, which is better than usual.  I have a lot of thoughts about Monday's trade of Mayer to the Giants.  It is clear he fell out of favor with the team.  I really do think they gave up on him too soon though.  The guy was the highest draft pick by the team since the 1970's (Mike Garman went #3).  He only had 114 games under his belt.  He finishes his Red Sox career with a .223/.278/.346 line with seven homers and 32 RBIs.  A lot more was expected of him, but he is still just 23.  I hope he succeeds elsewhere.  I am not happy about what happened here and I certainly think they should have gotten more than a reliever for him, but let's see what happens with Erik Miller.

1.  Tris Speaker.  I always do better with Panini.  Speaker was probably the first superstar Boston lost to a contract dispute, unfortunately a pattern that carried on with Babe Ruth, Carlton Fisk, Fred Lynn, Roger Clemens, Mo Vaughn, Nomar Garciaparra, Jon Lester, Mookie Betts and Xander Bogaerts.  They need to treat their homegrown stars better.  Speaker was traded to Cleveland for Sad Sam Jones and Fred "Pinch" Thomas.

2.  Manny Ramirez.  I still hope to see Manny make the Hall of Fame some day.

3.  Roman Anthony.  I am hoping that Anthony does not fall into the same trap as Mayer did.  He has also had trouble staying on the field, but with his contract, he should be given a longer leash.  Hopefully he comes back strong in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. As surprising as the trade was, I think Boston never giving Marcelo a long term deal like they did with Campbell and Anthony kind of gave away what they intended to do long term. Which was probably take it year by year where he could show them he could stay healthy and make them eat crow, or get hurt and get shipped off for pitching. Just happened sooner than expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It didn't help him that Franklin Arias is knocking on the door.

      Delete