I am still working my way through the backlog of cards to show off. Today's post is a TCDB trade without any real common theme. Just a bunch of random stuff, though the last two subjects of player collections are here.
1. Zach Penrod. This is my first card of Penrod. It took quite awhile to grab one of these even though he was in Topps Series 2 in 2025. Penrod appeared in seven games for the Red Sox in 2024 and had 2.25 ERA. And that has been the sum total of his Major League experience to date. The fact he got a card is pretty surprising.
2. Wilyer Abreu. Abreu is rising in my collection finally. He has become one of the more noteworthy hitters on the team.
3. Ceddanne Rafaela. What a season he is having. Rafaela has emerged as the best player on the team this year. He could receive MVP consideration.
4. Connor Wong. Wong has settled into a pretty stable role as he has bounced back in a big way from the rough season he had in 2025. His role is a little more questionable after a major deadline trade that I will discuss in much greater detail soon.
5. David Ortiz. Probably the biggest player in this package. I added three Big Papi cards in this trade.
6. Joe Cronin. Cronin is an interesting story because he went from player to manager to general manager to president of the American League. Not many players can say that.
7. David Ortiz.
8. Carlton Fisk. I swear I had this card before, but I can't find it. I must not have had it after all.
9. David Ortiz.
10. Wade Boggs. I'm sure I have mentioned that Boggs was my first favorite player.
11. Koji Uehara. Surprisingly this individual had a bunch of these Sega Card Gen cards from Japan, so I was able to add a few, including the great Koji Uehara who had one of the most dominant seasons I have ever seen from a reliever in 2013.
12. Junichi Tazawa. Tazawa had an underrated career as a very capable reliever. He was one of my favorite under-the-radar players.
13. Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The first (and thus far only) Red Sox catcher to have 40 doubles in a season, Saltalamacchia also led the team in home runs in 2012 with 25. Had he been a better defensive backstop, he might have had a lengthier career.
14. Mike Aviles. Aviles was traded to the Blue Jays in a deal made primarily for Boston to hire manager John Farrell away from Toronto.
15. Ryan Kalish. I had big hopes for Kalish to be a prominent outfielder for the Red Sox. He had a nice 2010 season, but injuries derailed his career.
16. Victor Martinez. I thought a lot about V-Mart yesterday as the Red Sox made that one big trade of the deadline. He was acquired under similar circumstances back in 2009 and immediately brought a lethal bat to Boston. We will see if the new guy does the same.
17. John Lackey. Lackey looked like a horrible free agent signing after he had a terrible 2010 and 2011 season, then missed the entirety of 2012 with Tommy John surgery, but he bounced back in a big way in 2013 and was a bulldog in the postseason. He won the clinching World Series game in 2013 and is now a Red Sox legend. That's what winning does.
18. Roger Clemens. I still want to see The Rocket in the Hall of Fame. His career was worthy well before the steroid allegations. He and Bonds should both be in with Manny Ramirez coming later.
19. Wade Boggs. And closing things out with the Chicken Man.



"The first (and thus far only) Red Sox catcher to have 40 doubles in a season"
ReplyDeleteAdley Rutschman has a chance to do the funniest thing...