Thursday, April 28, 2016

Harry Agganis (And Some 2016 Topps)

Some time ago I added Harry Agganis's only Topps card to my wantlist.  I don't know why it took so long to make that decision, but I finally did.  And just recently I picked it up for just a few dollars.  Here is the card:
It is not in the best condition, but for a 1955 card, that is to be expected somewhat.

Nicknamed "The Golden Greek", Agganis was a local product who was a big two-sport star before becoming a professional baseball player.  He was a terrific athlete in college at Boston University who passed up an offer from the Cleveland Browns to join the Boston Red Sox.  Agganis played just one full season in 1954, hitting .251/.321/.394 with 11 home runs and 57 RBIs, but he was just 24 years old.  He looked like he would be the starting first-baseman and a rising young star for Boston and was hitting .313 through 25 games when he became ill with pneumonia.  He was hospitalized and came back for a week before being re-hospitalized with a viral infection.  He looked like he was improving, but then suffered a pulmonary embolism and died at the age of 25.  Agganis is one of the most tragic stories in Red Sox history.

And now for some happier things.  Here is most of the remaining cards I needed from 2016 Topps.
I still need one card, but this helped quite a bit.  I finally got the Ryan Hanigan.  Hanigan is the last remaining card I need for 2015.

1 comment:

  1. Agganis also,has a nice card put out in 1956 by Gum Inc. from the adventure series.

    ReplyDelete