Friday, January 10, 2020

Topps Total Mailday With a Surprise

I did decide to purchase the Wave 9 Topps Total Red Sox cards, mostly because of Ryan Weber, who is a new player in my Red Sox collection.  The three cards were supposed to be Weber, Andrew Benintendi and Sam Travis, which was supposed to be his second card of the set, for reasons that are not entirely clear.  Then, I got the cards:
Notice, no Sam Travis, and instead Andrew Cashner.  This made me happy because Cashner is also new to my collection, the team's big in-season acquisition.  It did not work out well, but I still wanted to add a card of him.  Weber was used as an opener a couple of times and was decent early in the season, but his success did not last.  Cashner was pretty bad from the get-go. 

The way Topps did the return of Total last year was awful, but I did like the fact that it was able to produce cards of players with new uniforms throughout the year.  These may be the only Red Sox cards of Weber and Cashner.

2 comments:

  1. Players in new uniforms and players who don't usually get cardboard love were the only positives from this reboot.
    This was a set I planned on buying hobby boxes of and building from scratch... instead I just cherry-picked the ones I wanted from the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I still don't have the full Red Sox team set, but I am working on it.

      Delete