Saturday, July 7, 2018

2017 Topps Update Break

The Topps Update set is always one of my favorite sets every year.  Obviously not due to design or anything like that, but more due to the player selection.  I love getting obscure players and Update always has one or two that are completely outside-the-box.  John Olerud, Kevin Jarvis, Carlos Pena, David Aardsma, Kevin Cash, Bartolo Colon, Casey Kotchman, Ramon Ramirez, Bill Hall, Darnell McDonald, Eric Patterson, Bobby Jenks, Matt Albers, James Loney, Franklin Morales, Matt Thornton, Jonathan Herrera, Kelly Johnson, Edward Mujica, Jean Machi, Alexi Ogando, Carlos Peguero, Josh Rutledge, and Brad Ziegler have all been in the Update sets in the past.  So each year, I look forward to seeing the checklist.  Sure enough, 2017 offered a couple of players that I was excited about.  So far, I have still only picked up this one blaster, so there are a lot of cards I still need to find.  Here was my break:
1.  2017 Topps Update Mookie Betts/Manny Machado.  Two of the top young AL stars appear on this card. 

2.  2017 Topps Update Chris Sale.  This is the All Star card.  Sale started the game for the AL. 

3.  2017 Topps Update Yoan Moncada.  I do not really understand this card.  Moncada had not played for Boston in over a year before this card was released.  He had been with the White Sox in the Majors for a time.  But, I will not really argue.

4.  2017 Topps Update Hector Velazquez.  This is probably the card I most wanted.  Velazquez was a free agent from the Mexican League Boston picked up.  He made it into eight games in 2017 with an impressive 3-1 record and a 2.92 ERA.  He has pitched more frequently this season.  I was definitely excited to pull this card, but there were a couple more I still needed.

5.  2017 Topps Update Craig Kimbrel.  This is another All Star card.

Unfortunately, I did not pull the Ben Taylor or Doug Fister cards.  I had to settle for Hector Velazquez.  As I said, Velazquez was the one of the three I wanted the most, but I still need to find Taylor and Fister.

No comments:

Post a Comment