Friday, February 12, 2016

One-Card Wonder Pt. 23: Royce Clayton

For whatever reason, sometimes I am only able to find one card of certain players. To be considered a One-Card Wonder, a player must have been active since 1991 (when I started paying attention).
I mentioned this card once before in a comment on a blog post by Nick at Dime Boxes.  This is Royce Clayton's only card with the Red Sox and it comes from the Danbury Mint 22 kt. gold set commemorating the Red Sox's 2007 World Championship.  This was Clayton's final season in the Major Leagues.  Clayton started the season with Toronto then was acquired by Boston late in the year and only appeared in eight games.  He had six at-bats and no hits.  He mostly appeared as a late-inning defensive replacement.  

I loved the Danbury Mint cards.  I have several in my Red Sox collection, including both sets commemorating the World Championships in 2004 and 2007.  I also have three in my Sandy Alomar Jr. collection.  I just wish they would have updated Alomar every time he changed teams.  I have the Rockies, White Sox, and Indians represented, but it would be nice to have the Rangers, Dodgers, and Mets as well.

This is the only card of Royce Clayton I am aware of with the Red Sox and it makes a nice curiosity in my Red Sox collection.

1 comment: