Can you guess who?
This was a small trade that I made some time ago. I am going to gradually catch up on my cards. I have not been collecting as much lately, primarily because I have been so busy, but also because it's become so hard to find cards where I live. Once in awhile I come across some stuff on the shelves, but if I don't buy right away, it's gone the next time I am there. So, it's become frustrating. Anyway, here are some pitchers.
1. Roger Clemens. Clemens won three Cy Young Awards with the Red Sox and probably should have won at least one more, if not two. In 1990 he lost out to Bob Welch because Welch won 27 games for a juggernaut A's team despite the fact that Clemens was better than him in literally every other single category. Clemens was the best pitcher in 1990, not Welch. In 1992, Clemens placed third behind Dennis Eckersley, who saved 51 games and had a 1.91 ERA, and Jack McDowell, who won 20 games and had more innings pitched. Clemens led the league in ERA (2.41) and shutouts (five) and had a record of 18-11 with 208 strikeouts. So again, Clemens was arguably the best pitcher in the league.
2. Dustin May. May was acquired at the deadline in 2025. There was a lot of smoke around Boston acquiring a starting pitcher and allegedly CBO Craig Breslow tried really hard to pry Joe Ryan away from the Twins after the Twins traded away virtually every other player they could. But when it became obvious that the Twins were holding out to Ryan, he had to pivot quickly and apparently made a bit of a panic move, sending James Tibbs III and Zach Ehrhard to the Dodgers for May. It was a bad move. Tibbs had just been acquired in the Rafael Devers trade and Ehrhard was a well-regarded outfield prospect. Tibbs has been playing well in the Dodgers system this year. May was...not good with the Red Sox. He pitched in just six games, starting five and had an ERA of 5.40 and a record of 1-4. In 28.1 innings, he struck out 26, but walked 13. He was then allowed to leave as a free agent and signed on with the Cardinals where he has been inconsistent.
3. Garrett Crochet. Crochet was acquired in a trade with the White Sox for four prospects, similar to the Chris Sale trade prior to 2017. Crochet was great in his first season with the Red Sox and finished second in the Cy Young vote to Tarik Skubal. Crochet led the league in innings pitched (205.1), shutouts (one) and strikeouts (255). He had a record of 18-5 and a 2.59 ERA. Skubal had a 2.21 ERA. I do kind of think Crochet should have won it. I am not upset about it, like I am with the 1990 vote, but Crochet pitched more and had more strikeouts and a better record.

No comments:
Post a Comment