Wednesday, July 31, 2024

A Wong Update Plus the Jason Varitek Quest for 1,500 (#1,001)

Today I have a bunch of Connor Wong cards to show off, plus a random TCDB trade.

Up first is a bunch or rarer Panini cards:

1.  2022 Donruss Optic Photon Prizm.  I have no idea what the purpose of this parallel is, but it is another Connor Wong card.

2.  2022 Panini Chronicles Contenders Optic Pink.  This took a weirdly long time to find, but I did eventually.  It is serial-numbered to 50.

3.  2022 Donruss Optic Rated Rookie Signatures Green.  This one is serial-numbered to just five.

4.  2022 Panini Prizm Navy Blue Kaleidoscope.  I had to get this one because I got a J.T. Realmuto card in a pack.  I can't have a card of another player when I should have the Connor Wong.

Here is the trade:

1.  Mookie Betts.  Yes, I still get Mookie Betts cards.  I still hold out hope that he will wear a Red Sox cap on his Hall of Fame plaque.  At this point, I still think he had more great years with the Red Sox (including his best season, 2018) than with the Dodgers.

2.  Matt Kinney.  Kinney was a sixth-round pick of the Red Sox in 1995 and was making some progress toward the Majors when he was traded in the 1998 deal to the Twins for Greg Swindell and Orlando Merced (two players who never got Red Sox cards).  Kinney spent parts of five seasons in the Majors with the Twins, Brewers, Royals and Giants.  He had a 19-27 record with a 5.29 career ERA.  

3.  Masataka Yoshida.  He won't challenge for a batting title this season as I predicted, but he has been on fire lately.  I would still like to see him put it all together, but I kind of suspect it may not be in a Red Sox uniform.  The outfield is starting to get crowded in Boston.

4.  Triston Casas.  Casas should be back soon from a rib injury.  He won't hit 30 home runs like I predicted, but it will be great to get him back.

5.  Jason Varitek.  Here is card #1,001 of Varitek, seen jumping into Keith Foulke's arms after the groundout that sealed the 2004 World Championship, Boston's first since 1918.

6.  Kyle Weiland.  Weiland was a third-round pick by Boston in 2008 and made it to the Majors in 2011, pitching in seven games (five starts) with a 0-3 record and a 7.66 ERA.  In 24.2 innings, he struck out 13 and walked 12.  He was part of the package sent to Houston (along with Jed Lowrie) for Mark Melancon, a trade that did not work out well for Boston.  He didn't do much better with Houston.

And more Wong cards:

1.  2022 Panini Absolute Tools of the Trade 2 Swatch Gold.  I had to grab this one serial-numbered to 10.  The swatches included a red stripe and a button.  Definitely a cool card.

2.  2022 Donruss Optic Red Prizm.  This card also took a weirdly long time to find.  It is serial-numbered to 60.

3.  2022 Stadium Club Chrome Orange Refractor.  And this one is serial-numbered to 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment