Wednesday, May 1, 2013

1991 Topps #247 Jody Reed

In this series, I look at my first team set: 1991 Topps.  This was the set I started my baseball card collection with.
I always loved this photo.  Jody Reed is positioned in an almost diagonal line from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.  It would appear that he is in the middle of a home run trot.  Reed was not really known for his power though.  He hit five home runs in 1990 which was a career high.  He matched it in 1991 but never hit that many again.

Reed came into the 1990 season as the starting shortstop but with Marty Barrett suffering from some knee injuries he stepped in to become the starting second baseman.  Second base seemed to suit Reed a little bit better anyway.  He was a scrappy, small player who played pretty good defense.  Reed did have doubles power as he tied for the league lead in 1990 with 45 doubles.  He also typically walked more than he struck out.  Add those qualities together and you have a prototypical number two hitter.  And that is what Reed was.

This was not my first Jody Reed card, in fact it was my third but it is still one of my favorite photos of him.  It is not unusual to see photos of him in the field, but trotting around the bases is much more rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment