Sunday, April 23, 2023

An Ebay Lot and the Jason Varitek Quest for 1,000: #992

I snagged another lot off of Ebay with a bunch of recent parallels, inserts and base cards from harder-to-find sets.  There were a few duplicates, but the majority of the cards were new to me, and the major reason I grabbed it was a new Jason Varitek card.  Once again, sorry for the scans.  I need a scanner.

1.  Chris Sale.  Sale is finally healthy this year.  His first couple starts have not been great, but he seems like he might be putting it together.  The Red Sox really need pitching, so if he can step up, it will be very helpful.

2.  Connor Wong.  I am really starting to like Wong.  He was injured most of Spring Training so he is still adjusting, but his defense has been impressive and he has surprising speed for a catcher.  I originally wanted him to start in the minors with Jorge Alfaro as the starting catcher, but I am quickly changing that opinion.

3.  Jarren Duran.  Duran looks like a different player this season.  Maybe he has finally put it all together and he can take advantage of his game-changing speed.  I love the photo here, celebrating a home run.

4.  J.D. Martinez.  There are quite a few Martinez cards in this lot.

5.  Bobby Dalbec.  Unlike Duran, it looks like Dalbec has still not been able to overcome his deficiencies.   He will likely be traded away like Michael Chavis was back in 2021.

6.  Xander Bogaerts.  There are quite a few Bogaerts cards in this lot.  That just means I will have to get that many more Rafael Devers cards to catch up.

7.  J.D. Martinez.  Martinez card #2 in the lot.

8.  J.D. Martinez.  Martinez card #3 in the lot.

9.  Chris Sale.  Sale card #2 in the lot.

10.  Trevor Story.  Story seems to be somewhat underrepresented in my collection.  His injury issues do not really help as it is often easy to forget he is even on the team.

11.  Trevor Story.  Story card #2 in the lot.

12.  Chris Sale.  Sale card #3 in the lot.

13.  Bobby Dalbec.  Dalbec card #2 in the lot.

14.  Triston Casas/Jarren Duran/C.J.Chatham.  Casas has had a slow start to the season.  Hopefully he will get it going.  Duran is on his second card in the lot.  Chatham was Boston's second round pick in 2016, but was cut loose a couple years ago.  He just never got it going.

15.  Blaze Jordan.  Jordan has a great name and massive power potential, but is still young and learning how to be a complete hitter.  It will be interesting to see whether he makes it to the Majors or not.

16.  Connor Wong.  This is Wong card #2 in the lot.

17.  Connor Wong.  This is Wong card #3 in the lot.  I will admit the number of Wong cards was a secondary reason to get this lot.  As I said, I am really beginning to like him.

18.  Jarren Duran.  This is Duran card #3 in the lot.

19.  Jarren Duran.  This is Duran card #4 in the lot.

20.  Jarren Duran.  This is Duran card #5 in the lot.

21.  Rafael Devers.  I needed that.  Not that I do not like getting Bogaerts cards, but I would prefer to get Devers cards.  I still have that 300 card goal.

22.  J.D. Martinez.  This is Martinez card #4 in the lot.

23.  Xander Bogaerts.  This is Bogaerts card #2 in the lot.

24.  Tommy Pham.  It was nice to add a Pham card too.  I liked him quite a bit and was somewhat disappointed Boston did not bring him back.

25.  Pedro Martinez.  I wonder sometimes about younger collectors' thoughts on pulling cards of retired players like this.  So many sets these days have retired players mixed in.  When I was getting into collecting, all of the sets seemed to have exclusively active players.  I think only Topps flagship is like that now, and it has a bunch of insert sets with retired players.

26.  Roger Clemens.  See?  Another one. 

27.  David Ortiz.  See?  Another one.  I love the moment this is from.

28.  Connor Seabold.  Seabold was extremely disappointing last season and was traded to the Rockies in the offseason.

29.  Carl Yastrzemski.  Here's another one.

30.  Ted Williams.  And another one.  I do love this picture though.

31.  Wade Boggs.  And another one.  This photo is interesting, showing Boggs with a bunch of chickens.  I cannot say I have seen this photo before.

32.  Alex Verdugo.  Verdugo has been the player I predicted he could be so far this season.  Plus, this card has the City Connect uniform.

33.  Jason Varitek.  And finally, Varitek card #992 is another parallel from 2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary.  Potentially a goldmine for finding more Varitek cards.  This is the Blue Prism Refractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment