Wednesday, September 19, 2018

My First Tony Peña Auto

One of the great things about the Topps Archives Signature Series buybacks is adding autographs of players that I would otherwise not be able to find.  I have wanted an autograph of Tony Peña for a long time.  I was aware of some with the Donruss Recollection Autographs but I have never been able to get one.  The primary requirement of adding one was that Peña had to be wearing his catcher's gear.  And so, here is the 1991 Stadium Club card, signed and encased in plastic.  Peña was an early favorite player of mine, because I have always liked catchers and Peña was the starting catcher when I first started watching baseball.  He was never much of a hitter, at least with the Red Sox, but he was terrific defensively and a great clubhouse presence. 

3 comments:

  1. I always liked Pena, even going back to his days as a Pirate. This is a great looking card - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice card. I have am looking for a Pena from the same set in a Cardinals uniform, but cannot see paying $20 for one.

    ReplyDelete