Sunday, March 24, 2013

1991 Topps #155 Dwight Evans

In this series, I look at my first team set: 1991 Topps.  This was the set I started my baseball card collection with.
What a great shot of Dwight Evans on this one.  I still feel that Evans should get some more serious consideration for the Hall of Fame.  Maybe the Veterans' Committee will get him in.  I hope.  Evans was a very good player for a long time, but he possessed a skill set that was not as apparent at the time he played.  Evans was a terrific defensive player who drew a lot of walks.  

This is Evans's final base Topps card with the Red Sox.  He went on to spend his final season with the Orioles in 1991.  He had a bit of a down season in 1990, hitting only .249/.349/.391 with 13 home runs and 63 RBIs.  But he was 38 years old so it was not terribly surprising to see him slow down.

There are two versions of this card.  I only have the correct version.  The error version is missing the diamond next to his 162 games leading the league.  In fact I have four correct versions.  I am not one to try to track down errors so I have never sought out that version.

This is easily my favorite card from 1991 Topps.  I think the shot is just amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment