Friday, May 2, 2014

Cards from Chipp 'n Dale and a 1958 All Star

A couple of packages, the top card came in in a small deal, the remaining four all came from one blogger:
1.  1958 Topps Jackie Jensen AS.  As I mentioned, this card came separately from the rest of the cards.  Jensen was one of Boston's best players in the 1950's, but he started his career with the Yankees, backing up Mickey Mantle.  Jensen was eventually traded to the Senators, then the Red Sox where he flourished.  He was great in 1957, but the best was yet to come as he won the MVP in 1958.  He retired early due to a crippling fear of flying.

The remaining cards all came from James of the Braves site Chipp 'n Dale.  My blog trades have been a little sparse lately but I saw the Lester jersey for trade and figured I'd jump in.  These were the cards that were new to my collection from the package:

2.  1996 Select Jose Canseco.  Canseco actually was having one of his best seasons in 1996 until he went down with an injury.  He was one of several stars who complained their way out of Boston after the season, along with Roger Clemens and Mike Greenwell.  Dan Duquette must have been a terrible GM.

3.  2013 Panini Cooperstown Bobby Doerr.  Strangely, this is the first card I have gotten from this set.  I am slipping.  Doerr is the oldest living Hall of Famer.

4.  2014 Topps Jonny Gomes.  Knock one off the wantlist.  I love this shot.  

5.  2009 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection JSY Jon Lester.  I don't really have a lot of game-used cards of Lester for some reason.  Hopefully he re-signs with Boston after the season.  He is their ace.  This was the card that started this deal.

Thanks James!  Your cards are on their way.

1 comment: