Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Topps Now: April 19, 2023

I am trying to think of the players who made their debut in my collection with Topps Now cards.  The most recent example, prior to this one, is Masataka Yoshida.  I believe Nathan Eovaldi and Steve Pearce were.  Brandon Phillips remains the only player in my collection whose only card is a Topps Now card.  Well, until this one, but I do expect that to change.

Last year's trade of Christian Vazquez to the Astros was devastating to me.  I was a huge Vazquez fan.  But that trade opened up playing time for Connor Wong, who has since become my newest mini-player collection, and it also brought the Red Sox two prospects.  

Enmanuel Valdez looks like Juan Soto at the plate and has a plus hit tool.  He is something of a disaster in the field though, so I do not think he will stick in the Majors this time.  Some seasoning in the minors and finding a permanent position will help him, but he has been hitting well, until a recent slump.

On April 19, he made his Major League debut and picked up two hits.  He will likely be sent down once Trevor Story is ready, but he has impressed in his first stint in the Majors, until his recent slump.  It will not be long before he starts appearing in sets.

1 comment:

  1. For better or worse, he gives me Franchy Cordero vibes...

    ReplyDelete