Tuesday, June 23, 2020

My First Real Goudey

The Goudey sets from the mid 1930's have always been one of the more attractive vintage sets.  I have been on a bit of a vintage kick lately.  And when I say that, I mean pre-WWII sets.  I have been trying to grab a few for my Red Sox collection.  And so I decided I would grab one of these Goudey cards.  And here it is:
Julius Solters, who went by the nickname "Moose", made his Major League debut with the Red Sox as a 28-year-old rookie in 1934.  That would be his only full season with the Red Sox and he hit .299/.333/.447 with seven home runs and 58 RBIs while appearing in 101 games, mostly as a center fielder.  The next season, he started out slowly and was eventually sent to the St. Louis Browns in a deal for Oscar "Ski" Melillo.  Solters would go on a tear the rest of the season, which was the first of three straight seasons in which he would hit nearly 20 home runs and drive in more than 100 runs.  His career went downhill from there.

1 comment:

  1. Those Goudey sets are great. My favorite set of all time might be 1933 Goudey.

    ReplyDelete