Saturday, June 27, 2020

Diamond Kings Hobby Box Break

I will admit that had I seen the checklist before I pre-ordered a hobby box of Diamond Kings, I may not have done so.  The Red Sox selection was fairly limited.  All of the cards in the base set are retired players, who I definitely enjoy, but there were only a few inserts of current players.  Now, I like the retired players available, but it appears that all pictures are from previous sets, and in fact all of these players appeared in previous sets.  Let's see someone outside the box like Duffy Lewis, Stuffy McInnis, Wally Schang, Wes Ferrell, or Mel Parnell.

Anyway, here are the Red Sox:
I pulled most of the base cards (missing Jimmie Foxx and Tris Speaker) and a parallel of Dom DiMaggio.  It is sort of strange how Panini selects their players, since Johnny Pesky, DiMaggio and Joe Wood are all non-Hall of Famers.  They certainly had great careers and possibly could have been Hall of Famers had their careers lasted longer.  Given that the box only included 72 cards, I think I did okay. 

1 comment:

  1. That's insane that there are no current Red Sox in the set. I understand that Betts is gone but there's still plenty of star power, and the Sox are always a popular team. Then again my Mets have one two base cards total in the set, and one is an SP of a retired player (Piazza). Sorry, Jacob deGrom, maybe if you win THREE Cy Youngs in a row you might merit a spot!

    ReplyDelete