Tuesday, May 5, 2020

2020 Donruss 1/4 Case Break

I talked about my one-player case break with Christian Vazquez in Gypsy Queen.  I decided to try out a multi-box break of Donruss because I still needed a number of cards and thought it would be a decent chance at some parallels.  This one did work out fairly well.

Here are the base cards:
1.  Rafael Devers.  This is the "Beantown" variation, which is only on the back.  It is kind of a dumb variation, but it's a new Devers card.

2.  Xander Bogaerts.

3.  Eduardo Rodriguez.  I expect E-Rod to appear in a lot of sets this year after his very good year last year.  

4.  Roger Clemens.  I still would have liked to see Donruss think a little outside the box with these cards.  How about Bill Buckner?  Bruce Hurst?  Rich Gedman?  Don Baylor?

5.  Rafael Devers.  Here is the Diamond King card.  I have mentioned before that I love the Diamond Kings subsets.  It is one of my all-time favorites.  I am considering doing a Diamond Kings project here.  Devers was a good choice after his terrific 2019 season, in fact he was probably the best choice.  Donruss has not always made the best choice.  For instance, the 1986 Red Sox Diamond King was Tony Armas, who was coming off of a season in which he played 103 games and hit 23 home runs, a year after leading the league with 43.

Here are the parallels:
I received the blue holo parallels of both Devers variations, Clemens, Martinez, Rodriguez and the Devers Diamond King.  Then there was the 100 Emoji parallel of the Beantown variation of Devers, numbered to 100 and the Milestone Statline parallel of Christian Vazquez. 

Oddly, for a four-box break, I did not get all the Red Sox base cards I needed.  I still need the Chris Sale card.  How that card was missed in FOUR boxes is kind of amazing.  So yeah, I do not have the full team set yet.

1 comment: