Tuesday, December 20, 2016

One-Card Wonder Pt. 38: Terry Adams

I used to count team cards when determining how many cards of each player I had.  It got to be too tedious.  I had to keep track of everybody somewhere and I had to spend a lot of time trying to identify each and every player on each card.  That got to be too difficult.  So when I somehow deleted my page that had my tallies at one point I decided to stop doing it.  I still count team cards in my Sandy Alomar Jr. collection, but that one is much easier because I only have one player to keep track of, instead of more than 25.  But sometimes there is an exception and this card is one.

This team card identifies each and every person on it, which is so much easier and appreciated.  And where this becomes especially interesting is that one of the players on it is Terry Adams, who never had another card issued of him with a Red Sox logo.

Here he is, fifth from the left in the second row:
I can not figure out how to make that picture any bigger without screwing up the resolution beyond recognition, so that is it.

Adams had primarily been a relief pitcher with the Cubs and Dodgers until he had a 12-8 season for LA splitting time between starting and relieving in 2001.  He was eventually returned to the bullpen, though mostly in middle relief.  He began the 2004 season with Toronto and was 4-4 with a 3.98 ERA and three saves when he was traded to the Red Sox to solidify their bullpen in late July for minor leaguer John Hattig.  Hattig eventually became the first Major League native of Guam, though he did not play long in the Majors.

He made it into just 19 games with the Red Sox for 27 innings.  He was 2-0 with a 6.00 ERA and struck out 21 while walking just six.  He got hit hard but his record and strikeout-to-walk ratio were both pretty decent.  Adams was not on the Red Sox postseason roster and was granted free agency after the season.  This team card is the only card that acknowledges his brief stint with the Red Sox.  He played for the Phillies in 2005, but struggled and did not appear in the Majors again.

No comments:

Post a Comment