Thursday, April 7, 2016

Swing and a Pepsi? and More

Recently Bert from Swing and a Pop Up picked up a bunch of the Score Pepsi Red Sox singles.  Luckily he got a few duplicates and knew that I have been chasing the two sets.  He sent me the cards I needed which brought me to within three cards from completion of the 1991 set.  Unfortunately I still have a long way to go on the 1990 set.  I only have three of those cards. 

I have a lot of fond memories of the 1991 team since it was the first team that I was a fan of.  So a lot of these players are important to my formation as a fan.
1.  Roger Clemens.  I just realized there is no Wade Boggs card in this set.  That is kind of odd, so Roger Clemens is the biggest name in the set.

2.  Tom Bolton.  One of the things I like most about this set is the action shots.  Bolton was one of two Red Sox players in my first pack of cards.

3.  Tom Brunansky.  Bruno was mostly a disappointment for the Red Sox, but he had a good 1992 season and was Boston's best hitter that year.  Bruno was a decent player for Boston, but unfortunately he cost them Lee Smith in trade.

4.  Jeff Gray.  Gray was developing into a pretty good setup man, until he suffered a stroke in 1991 prior to warming up, prematurely ending his career.

5.  Dennis Lamp.  Lamp was the other Red Sox player in my first pack of cards.

6.  Brock Holt.  This card was also sent in this package.  It is a nice-looking action shot as well of one of my favorite underrated players.

Thanks Bert.

I received a second package in the mail as well.  This was a trade from the forums:
1.  David Ortiz.  I have no idea how many Ortiz relics I have.  Quite a few though.

2.  Daisuke Matsuzaka.

3.  Daisuke Matsuzaka.  Yes I am still getting cards of Dice-K, even though he was a pretty big bust after his first two seasons.

4.  Carl Yastrzemski.  Yaz holds the Red Sox record for highest WAR in a single season (12.2) for his incredible 1967 season that saw him win the Triple Crown and play very well in left field.  That would have been quite the season to see.

5.  Dustin Pedroia.  Moments and Milestones was kind of an interesting set.  I kind of wish Sandy Alomar Jr. had been in one.  It might have been kind of fun to chase.

5.  David Ortiz.  This card celebrates Ortiz's walkoff home run to win the ALDS over the Angels in 2004.

2 comments:

  1. I think the Pepsi set is a pretty good looking set. I have a handful of these somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I find the rest of what you need, I'll certainly send them your way.

    ReplyDelete