Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Small COMC Order

A few weeks ago, I came across a card that I needed for my non-Red Sox player collection.  You can see it on the Sandy Alomar Jr. blog.  The card was on COMC which kind of has outrageous shipping cost if you are only ordering one card.  So, I decided to add a couple of Red Sox cards to make it a little more bearable.
Up first is a 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter Signature Framed Autograph card of reliever Matt Barnes.  Barnes came into the season as the favorite to win the closer's role available after Craig Kimbrel was not re-signed.  Despite some excellent numbers, Barnes has not been the closer most of the time.  He has just two saves, second on the team behind Ryan Brasier's six.  But Barnes has a 2.08 ERA and an astounding 26 strikeouts in just 13 innings.
Up next is just an MLB Showdown card of current Phillies manager Gabe Kapler, who played with the Red Sox from 2003 through 2006 and was on the 2004 World Series roster.  Kapler was a nice player as a backup outfielder, but he was expected to be so much more when he was coming up with the Tigers and then Rangers.  I always liked MLB Showdown for their outstanding player selection.  Kapler is  good example as he had very few cards when he was playing for Boston.

That's it for now.

2 comments:

  1. I remember pulling Barnes' Bowman Chrome Prospect refractor autograph out of 2011 Bowman and had someone tell me "oh that's a good one, he's going to be the next Red Sox ace!". Fast forward to today and I think it's worth like maybe $7 on a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was never that optimistic about him. I always had him pegged as a reliever. He's decent, and having a great year this year, but he's not a star.

    ReplyDelete