Sunday, March 5, 2017

2017 Topps Heritage Blaster

Well after several trips over the last few days, I finally found some blasters of Heritage.  So I had to buy one.  I was pretty excited when I read over the card checklist and saw some of the new names for the Red Sox.  New acquisitions like Mitch Moreland, Tyler Thornburg, and Chris Sale join players with very few cards like Chris Young, Sandy Leon, Steven Wright, and Drew Pomeranz.  It also includes rookies Andrew Benintendi and Robby Scott.  So lots of players to look forward to.

There are 72 cards in a Heritage blaster, so I was expecting two to three Red Sox cards.  I pulled three, so not bad there.  Of course they were all base.
Leon only appeared in two sets last season despite having an incredibly hot start to the season when he was called upon.  One of those sets was the Topps Now postseason team set for the Red Sox.  Prior to that I only had a Venezuelan card.  It is likely he will appear a lot more this year, but at this point, this is just my fourth card of him.  He is starting the Spring Training as the starting catcher.  We will see what happens.
Porcello is likely to explode in numbers this season.  He is after all, coming off of winning the Cy Young Award.  I am a little surprised he has not been in a bunch of the insert sets yet, but I am sure he will soon.  There is quite a bit of talk about whether Porcello will start on Opening Day.  He was impressive in his first Spring Training game.
This is the card I was probably most pleased with.  I have a little mini collection going of Wright.  He is now up to 18 cards in my collection.  Wright had an All Star season in 2016 that was cut short due to a shoulder injury.  We will see how he comes back this year.

So three new cards.  I am mostly pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment