Saturday, January 7, 2017

I'm Apparently a Sucker Too

Like a number of other bloggers, I recently caved and decided to buy a box of the Topps Holiday set with snowflakes on the corners where the smoke was previously.  My reasoning was simple.  I was at Walmart in my hometown over the New Year's weekend and wanted to open something.  This was the only one that I did not already have any Red Sox for that I had a reasonable chance at getting something.  The price is not terrible, $20.00 with a guaranteed relic.

I pulled all but three of the Red Sox from the team set.
1.  Xander Bogaerts.  Bogaerts won his second straight Silver Slugger Award in 2016, though I am not convinced he really deserved it after his prolonged slump.  He did hit 20 home runs for the first time in his career and was an All Star.

2.  Hanley Ramirez.  Ramirez bounced back from a poor 2015 season and hit 30 home runs in 2016.

3.  Jackie Bradley Jr.  JBJ was also an All Star for the first time in 2016 and had a 29 game hitting streak.  One of these years, he will win his first Gold Glove.

4.  Craig Kimbrel.  Another All Star in 2016 was Kimbrel, who had a rough few weeks at one point and had some significant control problems.  He did save 31 games.

5.  Dustin Pedroia.  Pedroia had a bounceback year, accumulating 201 hits and hitting .318/.376/.449.  His speed is mostly gone, but he can still hit and he is still a terrific defensive player.

6.  Henry Owens.  Owens's career has stalled.  His control problems have gotten worse.  He can still turn things around as he is still young, but it is getting less likely.

Giancarlo Stanton was my relic and my Metallic Snowflake cards were Ryan Howard, Nomar Mazara, and Nolan Arenado if anyone has any Red Sox for trade.

The next day, I visited my favorite card shop.  I was impressed to see the owner wearing a David Ortiz t-shirt.  He had not been holding Red Sox cards like he used to, but I did find a few cards from my wantlist:
7.  Xander Bogaerts.  I did not have any Topps Bunt cards.  And Bogaerts has eluded me in a number of sets, but I am working on fixing that.

8.  Xander Bogaerts.  This is one of the sets he has eluded me in.

9.  Mookie Betts.  At long last, Mookie wins the four player race to 100 cards in my collection.  JBJ is next in line with 98, followed by Xander, now at 95, and Hanley Ramirez at 86.  All three players will likely make it soon.

I did not spend much on those three cards, so I bought a jumbo pack of Bowman Draft, my first of the year.  I pulled just one Red Sox card, but it is a good player:
10.  Bobby Dalbec.  Dalbec was a widely-criticized pick when he was selected in the fourth round of the 2016 draft.  He was a two-way player in college and pitched well in the College World Series and he exploded onto the scene in the pros, hitting .386/.430/.674 with seven home runs in 34 games.  He has some big-time power.  He just needs to be able to hit.

I didn't get a ton of good stuff in the Draft pack (no auto), but if anyone is interested in something, let me know what you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment