Tuesday, November 22, 2016

My Wantlist Project is Finally Complete

I spent over a week going through checklist upon checklist upon checklist, identifying the Red Sox holes in my collection.  It was a very long process.  I added some random inserts and parallels and stuff like that as well, just to keep things interesting.  It is a list I know I will never complete and it is not an exhaustive list as I did not include a lot of parallels and inserts.  But at least I have a guide now.  I found out there are a lot of cards missing that I did not know were missing.  Which helps me fill those holes.  So, if anyone out there has anything on my wantlist, I am interested.  

It did not take too long to take a few cards off of my wantlist.  I received several today that I worked out trades for.  Some other random stuff came in as well, but a lot of the cards came from my wantlist.

This first package contained a lot of purple:
1.  Pablo Sandoval.  Sandoval will go into next season with a chance at winning his third base job back.  I hope he can do something, otherwise he is a very expensive bust.  This is the purple Toys 'R Us parallel.

2.  Dustin Pedroia.  This is the purple parallel for Gypsy Queen.

3.  David Price.  And this is the Bowman purple card.

4.  Travis Shaw/Allen Dykstra.  Not a purple card, but a gold parallel of Sandoval's most likely competition for the third base job.  Unless someone gets traded.

This next package contained all cards from my new and improved wantlist:
5.  Al Bumbry.  I had to have this when I saw the profile pic.  I have three cards of Bumbry in my Red Sox collection now, even though he never played a game with them.  He was a coach for a few years in the early 90's which is where all three cards came from.

6.  Earl Wilson.  Wilson was a terrific hitter for a pitcher.  He hit 35 home runs in his career and hit a career-high seven in two seasons.  He pitched a no-hitter in 1962 and homered in that game.

7.  Bill Haselman.  Haselman had a decent season in 1996 for the Red Sox as the backup for Mike Stanley.  He did well enough that he was the starting catcher going into the 1997 season.  He could always hit a little bit for a backup catcher.

8.  Troy O'Leary.  I did not know this insert existed.  But I was a big fan of O'Leary during his time in Boston.  He led the team in home runs in 1999 and had two HUGE home runs in Game 5 of the ALDS against the Indians: a grand slam and a three-run shot, both times after Nomar Garciaparra was intentionally walked to get to O'Leary.

9.  Mike Stanley.  This is another card I had no idea existed.  The artist on this card is actually pretty good.  Oddly, Stanley had not been a catcher for several years by the time this card was released.

10.  Wade Boggs.  Another card I was not aware of.  There are also Dennis Eckersley and Carlton Fisk cards from this insert set that I am on the lookout for.  Particularly the Eckersley.

11.  Jeremy Giambi.  I refuse to acknowledge the other guy on this card.  Which would put me in the minority.  Giambi did not do much with Boston, other than hit poorly enough that David Ortiz became the DH.  And the rest is history.

12.  Wade Boggs.  This card FINALLY completes the 2013 Archives Day Glo cards that were only available in card shop giveaways.

And the last package included one card from my wantlist, and also a lot of green:
13.  Pedro Martinez.  This is the card from the Wantlist.  These Sterling cards are tough to come across.

14.  Matt Barnes.  This is the silver parallel.  Barnes will be a big part of the bullpen next season.

15.  David Price.  This is the green Museum Collection parallel.  The base is on my wantlist.

16.  Wade Boggs.  See the David Price description above.  Same things apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment