Wednesday, January 24, 2024

The Jason Varitek Quest for 1,000: #s 999 and 1,000! (Plus a Lot More)

This is one of the more eclectic maildays I have had in some time.  It was helped by the fact that it was my first mailday after some big winter storms delayed delivery for a few days (I had 18 inches of snow and was snowed in for four days).  I will get to it all, but spoiler alert: as the title says, I made it to a very big goal.

The All Aces insert set is one of the more interesting inserts I have seen in recent years.  It takes a formula that is not exactly groundbreaking (cards with playing card designs) but nevertheless results in a fantastic-looking set.  Of course I had to grab both Red Sox cards from the set: Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez.  I got to watch both of them at various times, though Clemens was not quite as dominant as he had been earlier in his career by the time I was really paying attention.

Up next is some vintage:

1.  1971 Topps Cal Koonce.  Koonce had a ten-year career in the Majors with the Cubs, Mets and Red Sox.  He was primarily a reliever and saved eleven games for the Mets in 1968.  The Red Sox purchased him from the Mets in 1970 and he went 3-4 with a 3.54 ERA in 76.1 innings, notching two saves.  The next season he was 0-1 with a 5.57 ERA in 21 innings and was released.

2.  1961 Fleer Greats Lefty Grove.  It is always a little exciting to see Grove in a Red Sox uniform.  He wears a Red Sox cap on his plaque but that always felt a little off.  He had some great seasons in Boston, but he was really at his most dominant with the A's.

Jason Varitek card #999 is from 2023 Topps Update 1988 35th Anniversary Chrome.  I have mentioned previously my preference for cards with the "C" on the chest.  Varitek has been the only official Red Sox captain during the time I have been a fan.

Like Grove, I love it when I can find Babe Ruth cards with the Red Sox.  This is the Orange Flash parallel from 2023 Panini Select.  Even better, the photo actually appears to be Ruth with the Red Sox.

2022 Stadium Club Rookie Autographs Gold Foil.  You didn't think I had stopped collecting Connor Wong did you?  Absolutely not.  Things have just slowed down as supply has dwindled.  This is a big one though: a 1/1 autograph card.  

Next is an insert lot I grabbed off of Ebay:

1.  Topps Cosmic Chrome Star Clusters Rafael Devers/Triston Casas.  Up first is a cool insert featuring two of the team's top hitters in Rafael Devers and Triston Casas.  I always liked cards with more than one player on them, even better if they were all Red Sox.  

2-5.  Yoshida!  This lot featured four new Masataka Yoshida cards for my collection.  The most interesting is definitely the pulp-like design for the Extraterrestrial Talent card from Cosmic Chrome.  

6-7.  Marcelo Mayer.  Mayer was the fourth overall pick in the 2021 Draft.  He was slowed by an injury last season but previously looked like a promising player.  This year will be very important in his development.  Boston seems to be banking on the rising talents of Mayer, Roman Anthony, Kyle Teel and Nick Yorke.

8-10.  Papi and Pedro.  These two currently hold the third and fourth spots on my list of largest Red Sox players.

1.  Lyonell James.  James was an international free agent from the 2019/2020 signing period.  He has some interesting tools, but has yet to harness them.  He is slated for A-ball in 2024.

2.  Justin Turner.  I still like to get relics of players when I can, particularly when it is someone I do not have yet.  This is my first Turner relic.  I really liked Justin Turner.  Maybe Boston can bring him back.  He was a good middle-of-the-order bat and a great clubhouse presence.

3.  Brayan Bello.  Bello, like Casas, is a rising star in my collection.  I do not have a lot of cards, but if he keeps developing, he will soon take off.

4.  Jason Varitek.  Here it is, #1,000!  This is the 2023 Topps Pristine Purple Refractor.  Now, I need to make a new goal.  Prepare for that.

1.  Ted Williams.  In 2003, after Williams's death, three Upper Deck sets featured large numbers of Williams cards as either part of the set or as an insert.  I always meant to get more of them.  I grabbed one here from Sweet Spot classic.

2.  Bill Renna.  From 1958 Topps, Renna played six years with the Yankees, Athletics (Philadelphia and Kansas City) and Red Sox.  He spent two seasons in Boston as an extra outfielder and hit .218/.315/.436 with four homers and 20 RBIs.

3.  Cy Young.  Another player I love getting cards of with the Red Sox.

4.  Mo Vaughn.  I had a couple of these inserts that I pulled from packs of 1997 Score back then.  I did not realize Vaughn had a card in the set.  I am leaning towards getting a bunch of Mo Vaughn cards.  He was one of my early favorites.

That's it for now.  There is a lot more to come as I expand back into more of a Red Sox team focus while waiting for new Connor Wong cards to come out.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching 1000 Varitek cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, as expected the Varitek I sent out to you a few days ago will be long after your milestone and not matter as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will get me on to the next goal though and will be greatly appreciated.

      Delete