Friday, January 18, 2019

I Love Fan Favorites Autos

Finally, I managed to grab one of 2018's Red Sox Fan Favorites autos.  Though it is not the one I wanted the most, it was definitely one of the cards I focused on:
This is the Mike Timlin card.  Timlin spent six seasons in Boston, primarily as a setup man, though he was briefly the team's closer in 2005.  Timlin was a steady presence in the Red Sox bullpen, only once pitching in fewer than 50 games and generally turning in decent ERAs.  He was a part of two World Championship teams in Boston (plus two more in Toronto).  He was one of the better setup men in the game during his time with the Red Sox.

The card I wanted the most, and am still seeking is Dave Roberts.  The other note I feel like I should bring up is that I do not really care for the use of the set designs these days.  I liked it better when Topps would use set designs that were relevant to the player and the time he played for the team with whom he was depicted.  For example, 2001 Topps does not make sense with Timlin with the Red Sox.  He was with the Cardinals in 2001.  It would have made a lot more sense to put him in a 2003 to 2008 design.  Roberts and Keith Foulke are also showed with 2001 designs.  Derek Lowe is as well, but that is acceptable.  I would like to see a return to the Fan Favorites sets.

1 comment: