Thursday, October 27, 2016

How I Spent My Fantasy Baseball Winnings Plus Wantlist Hits

Before I get to the discussion of the results of my Fantasy Baseball league, I will cover the wantlist hits that came in recently.
1.  Mookie Betts (Number of Betts cards in my collection now: 90).  I recently decided I had to get the rest of the Throwback Thursday cards.  I like them better than the Topps Now cards.  This one is based on a 1972 Topps Presidential Candidates design and is showing the MVP candidates.

2.  Steven Wright (6):  This is the mini version of the Topps Heritage card.  It is also the first Heritage mini I have ever picked up for my Red Sox collection.  I'm not sure why.  

The next three cards all came from a reader named Dan who offered to send me some cards off of my want list.  Some cards came in from other places before Dan's package, but that's not a problem.

3.  Xander Bogaerts (81).  I'm not sure how Bogaerts fell so far behind Mookie, but I have some catching up to do.  

4.  Rusney Castillo (53).  Castillo's minor league numbers in 2016 looked pretty ugly.  It may be time to cut bait with him.

5.  Koji Uehara (48).  Koji is the Red Sox's most important free agent.  I would love to see him back.  He has been a lot of fun to watch over the last four years.

And now, my Fantasy Baseball results.  I finished third in my 18-team league and won a fairly decent amount of money (thanks mostly to Mookie Betts, Mike Napoli, and Edwin Encarnacion out-performing expectations).  I bought my wife a pair of boots and had more than enough left over to pick up a couple of rarer cards of two Hall of Famers that passed through Boston briefly.  

First, this awesome Rickey Henderson card, which is my first autograph of him.  There is no team designation on this card, but the patch is clearly from a Red Sox away jersey and the photo definitely looks like a Red Sox uniform that was airbrushed.  
6.  Rickey Henderson (71).  Henderson hit .223/.369/.352 in 72 games for the Red Sox in 2002.  He hit five home runs and stole eight bases.

And next was the #3 card on my Most Wanted List:
7.  John Smoltz (12).  This is the Super Short Print card from 2009 Topps Heritage.  There was a Cardinals version of this card that was not nearly as rare.  Smoltz was 2-5 with an 8.33 ERA in eight games.

I think that was money well spent.

2 comments:

  1. The Candidates cards are a genius blending of two distinctly different concepts... and timely too. I'm going to have to see if I can pick up the Bryant on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Rickey card, congrats on being in the money for the Fantasy league.

    ReplyDelete