Friday, September 11, 2026

Topps Now: May 18, 2026

 

I do not think I have made much of a secret about not liking Aroldis Chapman prior to him signing with the Red Sox.  Maybe not on this blog, but certainly in personal conversations I have had with people.  Chapman was suspended by Major League Baseball for violating the domestic abuse policies back in 2016.  As a defense attorney, I understand these things are often not black and white, so I do tend to be a little more open-minded about these kinds of things, and it is my understanding that no criminal charges were ever pursued, but it's still kind of concerning.  Plus, he was a Yankee.  

Nevertheless, over the two seasons he has been in Boston, he has impressed me with his apparent work ethic and there have not been any issues off the field.  Chapman has certainly put together a potential Hall of Fame career.  His two seasons in Boston have elevated that possibility as he has hit several career landmarks.  This card celebrates one of those landmarks.  Chapman moved into the top ten all time in saves.  He has since made it up to 400 career saves, which means he is now ninth all-time.  He has also broken the all-time career strikeouts record for a reliever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment