Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Mailday Madness Pt. 10

This one will be pretty quick.  I have just two packages to show off and neither of them are very big.  The Red Sox are in a bit of trouble with Lucas Giolito going down with an injury, possibly for the entire season, and Vaughn Grissom also having issues.  It would be nice to add another starter, but the team seems unlikely to do that.  

1.  Moe Berg.  My parents called me one day and my dad started talking to me about this movie they had just seen the night before called The Catcher was a Spy.  Of course I remembered this as the title of the biography of Berg which I have read a couple of times.  Berg was an enigma.  I have yet to see the movie, but maybe I will check it out soon.

2.  Cy Young/Roger Clemens.  It is pretty cool to have a card featuring the pitchers who are tied for the all-time team record in wins (192).  Tim Wakefield came close with 186 wins.  

3.  Kutter Crawford.  Crawford is a pitcher I think could turn into something pretty good.  I am not predicting stardom, but a good middle-of-the-rotation arm.  He had some impressive peripheral numbers.  

1.  Josh Beckett.  Beckett won 89 games with the Red Sox.  He is tied for 18th all-time on the Red Sox leaderboard with a legendary figure himself.  He is tied with Babe Ruth.

2.  Mookie Betts.  The MVP subsets/inserts from Donruss sets were not as beloved as the Diamond Kings, but some of the choices were still pretty unusual.  They were also not nearly as long-lasting.

3.  Rafael Devers.  Devers has been on fire this Spring.  I am looking forward to seeing what he will do this season.

4.  Corey Kluber.  Kluber goes down as another star pitcher who spent just one year with the Red Sox.  Unfortunately, his last season was a disaster.  He appeared in 15 games, starting nine (and notching his only career save), but had a record of 3-6 and an unsightly 7.04 ERA.  He struck out 42 and walked 21 in 55 innings.  

1 comment:

  1. Corey Kluber's one year with Boston is proof that "there's no such thing as a bad one year deal" is a lie.

    ReplyDelete