Saturday, August 24, 2019

More Total Red Sox

I have complained about this once before, but it bears repeating.  I hate what Topps has done with this set.  Topps Total was a perfect low-cost set with a lot of player selection.  It still has the player selection, but it is now $10.00 for a 10-card pack and you can only get it online.  And so, buying singles is the only way to go with this set.  I picked up this lot on Ebay for less than it would have cost for one pack and got five cards I needed instead of a shot at one.

1.  Mitch Moreland.  Moreland had been doing quite well before injuries sank his season.  Now, he can barely crack the lineup because of how well Sam Travis is suddenly hitting.  This is likely Moreland's last season in Boston.

2.  Mookie Betts.  Probably one of the more expensive cards in this set for the Red Sox (Chavis and Devers will be more I think), so it was pretty good to get it in this lot.  Betts is having a down season, sort of.  He is still one of the top players in the league.

3.  Hector Velazquez.  One of the reasons I picked this lot was because of Velazquez who simply does not have enough cards.  Sure, he's not real good, but that's why Topps Total was so endearing.

4.  Jackie Bradley Jr.  I fear we may be seeing the end of JBJ's time in Boston.  I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.  With the contract issues coming up, I do not see Boston keeping him.  He is not a free agent until 2021, but he may be trade bait.

5.  Brandon Workman.  Here is the other main reason I got this lot.  Workman has very few cards and has been one of the better surprises for Boston this season.  He has been the best pitcher out of the bullpen.  I think he will finally start to show up more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment