Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Giant Mailday Post with Contributions from Night Owl and Zippy Zappy

It has been a pretty busy week this week with court appearances every day.  So I have not had a lot of time to get scans up.  I have been getting stuff in fairly regularly too, so there is a lot to show off right now.  I am still coming off of the high from the Red Sox winning the World Series.  Hopefully there will be a commemorative card set issued.  There were three in 2004 and one in 2007.  There was also Danbury Mint gold cards commemorating the victories.  I am hoping for at least one set.

Anyway, let's see some cards, shall we?

Up first is a small vintage buy:
1.  1959 Topps Team Card.  The 1959 team set is in my wantlist because it is a relatively inexpensive vintage set.  Team cards are always interesting, but I wish they would have the players pictured listed somewhere.

Next is a trade I engineered with everyone's favorite nocturnal bird of prey:
2.  2013 Topps Chrome Close Connections Dustin Pedroia.  This was the impetus for the trade.  He got this card as well as two other base cards in one pack of Chrome.  I commented and he sent them to me.  Soon after that I got the base cards in my group break, but I definitely still needed the die-cut.

3.  2013 Topps Chasing History Holofoil Dustin Pedroia.  A parallel of an insert and another nice card of the Red Sox second-baseman.

4.  2008 Upper Deck Timeline Jonathan Van Every RC.  This is the 1992 Minors Top Prospect subset card.  Van Every did not last long, but he was one of three position players to pitch for Boston in 2009, along with Dusty Brown and Nick Green.

5.  2008 Upper Deck Timeline Daisuke Matsuzaka.  From the 1994 All Time Heroes subset.  I still like getting Dice-K cards.

6.  2008 Upper Deck Timeline Daisuke Matsuzaka.  From the 2004 Timeless Teams subset.

7.  2008 Upper Deck Timeline David Ortiz.  Also from the 2004 Timeless Teams subset.  Ortiz was huge in the postseason.

Thanks Greg!  Hope you enjoy your cards.

The next card was sent to me for free, which was awesome.
8.  2013 Topps Chrome Dynamic Die Cut Mike Napoli.  Napoli suddenly has a lot of Red Sox cards out there.  Hopefully he will be back next season.

Up next is another package from Zippy Zappy.  I sent a bunch more Yankees to him in exchange for these:
9.  2011 Topps Chrome Clay Buchholz.  If he could just stay healthy, he could become great.

10.  1981 Topps Sticker Dave Stapleton.  Stapleton was on the 1986 World Series roster as a backup first-baseman to Bill Buckner and really should have been in the game in Game 6.

11.  2011 Topps Sticker Jacoby Ellsbury.  A nice little piece.  We shall soon see where he ends up.

12.  2013 Topps Chasing History Jackie Bradley Jr.  Jackie is hoping Ellsbury goes elsewhere I think, opening up the door to him taking over.

13.  2013 Topps Chasing History Nomar Garciaparra.  Nice to see Nomar cards this year.

14.  2013 Topps Mini Dustin Pedroia.  The minis are what started this trade.

15.  2013 Topps Mini Jonny Gomes.  We need a card of him in the army helmet right away.

16.  2013 Topps Mini Ryan Sweeney.  The mini set is weird because it has some players updated in their new uniforms.  Then there are players like Ryan Sweeney, still shown with their former team.

17.  2013 Topps Mini Vicente Padilla.  And others like Padilla who did not appear in the Majors at all this season.
18.  2013 Topps Mini Ryan Dempster.  Dempster was one of the few free agent signings from last year that did not work out really well.

19.  2013 Topps Mini Felix Doubront.  One of my current favorites.  What a World Series he had.

20.  2013 Topps Mini Mike Napoli.  Another Nap.

21.  2013 Topps Mini Jarrod Saltalamacchia.  Saltalamacchia was not given a qualifying offer.  It is possible Lavarnway will take over next year.

22.  2013 Topps Mini Jacoby Ellsbury.  Ellsbury did get a qualifying offer.

23.  2013 Topps Mini Daniel Nava.  Nava is coming off a great season and should see some more cards next year.

24.  2013 Topps Mini Jackie Bradley Jr. RC.  Another Bradley.

25.  2013 Topps Mini Alfredo Aceves.  I love this picture.

26.  1988 Topps U.K. Roger Clemens.  I was surprised I did not have this one.  I had the Boggs and Evans.
27.  2013 Topps Mini Chasing History Ted Williams.  Always excited to get Teddy Ballgame cards.

28.  2013 Topps Mini John Lackey.  Lackey has redeemed himself in the eyes of fans.

29.  1979 Topps Team Card.  Another team card, this one of the 1978 team that blew a huge lead in the division to the Yankees.

30.  1970 Topps Ray Jarvis.  A terrific vintage card of one of the players traded along with Tony Conigliaro to the Angels.

31.  1973 Topps Lew Krausse.  Pretty miscut, but still, another nice vintage card.

32.  2000 Topps Tek Pedro Martinez.  There was a time I wanted to complete one of the player sets from Topps Tek.  One of these days I may go back to that.

Thanks Kenny!  Hope you enjoyed your cards!

I had a Yasiel Puig refractor.  It was turned into this:
33.  2013 Topps Pink Daisuke Matsuzaka.  I really wanted one of the pink parallels.  I recently picked up two.  This was the first.

34.  2012 Topps Gold Dustin Pedroia.  This card was on my Top Ten Most Wanted list.

35.  2009 Upper Deck Ballpark Collection Jason Varitek.  So was this one.

36.  2011 Topps Allen & Ginter Rip Card Clay Buchholz.  My second rip card.  This was already ripped of course.

And this was a small trade that added some interesting cards:
37.  2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Red Clay Buchholz RC.  Buchholz is climbing steadily in my collection.  I have close to 100 cards of him now.

38.  2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Jimmie Foxx.  I am pretty sure Foxx could still hit a home run with that bat.  What is the deal with that?

39.  2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Jimmie Foxx.  Another Foxx Red Sox card.  Few know that he wears a Red Sox cap on his Hall of Fame plaque.

40.  2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Framed Gold Adrian Gonzalez.  Still adding A-Gon cards.

41.  2009 Upper Deck Icons George Kottaras RC.  This was on my wantlist.

42.  2001 Fleer Futures Black Gold Trot Nixon.  One of the jerseys I own is a Trot Nixon from 2001 with a 100th Anniversary patch.

43.  2000 Finest Tomokazu Ohka.  I really wanted Ohka to turn into a star.  It just did not work out that way.

44.  2005 Donruss Elite Elite Teams Manny Ramirez/Pedro Martinez/David Ortiz.  Commemorating the 2004 team.

45.  2007 Upper Deck Goudey Head's Up Carlton Fisk.  This is my third card like this, joining Matsuzaka and Ortiz.

I turned a Michael Wacha parallel into this:
46.  2013 Topps Chasing History Ted Williams.  Another Splendid Splinter card.

47.  2013 Topps Making Their Mark Jackie Bradley Jr.  I really wanted this card.  Not sure why.

48.  2013 Topps Chasing History Pedro Martinez.  Pedro joins his longtime teammate in getting more cards this year.

49.  2013 Topps Update Gold Andrew Bailey.  Bailey will likely go elsewhere this offseason.  That trade did not work at all for Boston.

One of the things I really wanted from Update was one of the Boston Strong parallels.  Unfortunately I did not get one.  But I managed to work out a trade to add one.  I will still look for more, but here is my one so far:
50.  2013 Topps Update Boston Strong Ryan Lavarnway.  Not the player I most wanted, though I do love the action shot.  Lavarnway did not play a lot for Boston, but this is still a terrific card.

And finally I added a couple more Doubronts to my collection:
51.  2013 Topps Pink Felix Doubront.  My second pink card.

52.  2013 Topps Gold Felix Doubront.  Hopefully Boston does not trade Doubront, but he needs to work on his conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment